Cotton mouth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton mouth!

I have the driest mouth ever! Sometimes it is too dry for me to continue talking...my lips get stuck on my teeth. I drink lots of water and try and chew gum or suck on a candy to stimulate saliva. My mouth is so dry that it will turn a piece of gum into saw dust in minutes. Does anyone else experience this?

for whatever odd reason, I only experience this at night. During the day it is not that bad, I have not noticed any triggers that occur before hand. Many of my medications do listdry mouth and excessive thirst as a side affect.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Sorry to hear this amy~ Are you on any new medication that could be causing this? You might want to read the label if so.

It sounds like you are doing many things to help alleviate it. You'll want to avoid any caffeine and alcohol and any acidic drinks as these dry out your mouth.

My mom has severe dry mouth as a result of a certain med that she takes and she found Biotene really works for her. Your dentist will probably have some good suggestions for OTC products.

Hope it's not long lasting and you find something to help!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
        My mom has severe dry mouth as a result of a certain med that she takes and she found Biotene really works for her. Your dentist will probably have some good suggestions for OTC products.
        Biotene is also what my dentist recommended. They have mouthwash, spray, gum, gel, and toothpaste. It is available over the counter. You can learn more at Biotene.com

For me, dry mouth was a direct result of medications. Dry mouth will result in dental problems (requiring expensive dental work) if not addressed. It wasn't addressed as quickly as it should have been in my case, requiring thousands of dollars of dental work. Not fun nor cheap!

Best of luck,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I have dry mouth too. Even though I drink 1 - 2 Liters of water EVERY day. I suspect many of the meds we take lead to this. Ask your PCP what would help you and keep drinking your water.
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

First of all, I know how annoying it is to have such dry mouth. I also have dry eyes and take RX Restasis.

Yes meds can cause dry mouth, esp pain meds. But it could be something else.

I take RX Pilocarpine a pill, for dry mouth. A Rheumatolgist gave me the secondary diagnose of Sjogrens, dry eyes, mouth, ears. Its a auto immune disease. There are blood tests for markers and a lip biopsy but I refused to have that done. One Rheumy gave me the diagnosis, another one would not treat me saying he had to see a positive lip biopsy.

Even if you do not have Sjogrens, ask for Pilocarpine. It stimulates the salivary glands and you'll be literally feeling saliva squirt out w/in 10 mins or less.

There also is a saliva spray!! I had such SEVERE dry mouth following my last surgery, I knew it was more than reaction to pain meds. Sjogren's makes it worse. But the Hospitalist gave me that spray to keep my mouth moist even tho I was taking my Pilocarpine. Once off the pain meds I only needed the Pilocarpine.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing,

Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I drink so much water I am afraid I will wet the bed. My mouth and throat are so dry...

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                Biotene is also what my dentist recommended. They have mouthwash, spray, gum, gel, and toothpaste. It is available over the counter. You can learn more at Biotene.com

For me, dry mouth was a direct result of medications. Dry mouth will result in dental problems (requiring expensive dental work) if not addressed. It wasn't addressed as quickly as it should have been in my case, requiring thousands of dollars of dental work. Not fun nor cheap!

Best of luck,
                Biotene is the best. thet have mouthwash and gum ( last time I checked gum was back order and those on amazon who had some stock and were still selling it asked outrageous prices.)

They say if you suck on hard candy it helps...but I'm not big on sweets, and the sugar free tastes funny to me. Years ago I came up with a solution for me. I take raw ginger root , peel a little piece and just suck on it. (it's an acquired taste , sort of spicy but no calories, and it also distracts me from one sided tongue and check pain.). The docs chuckle at my solution...I've been doing it for years and it works for me.

I've also found sucking on ice cubes or chips to work better tham drinking water. My dry mouth is definitely med related.

Comment

Biotin has worked great for me!!!!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                  RRMS
                  Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

you smoke weed? haha

Comment

Dry mouth and Ampyra

I never had dry mouth until I started Ampyra six months ago. Now I have it everyday. I told the pharmacist at the specialty pharmacy that delivers my Ampyra, and he said that there was no listing for dry mouth as a side-effect, but that he would pass my experience along to Acorda Pharmaceuticals.

At least the dry mouth keeps me drinking lots of water during my daily pool workout.

Thanks for the suggestion about Biotene. I will look into it.

Stay lifted,
                      Mermaid
                      "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Anti-depressants and many psychiatric drugs that double as pain meds..cause it severely, for me.

I've used biotene and tons of things.

The dentist told me to suck on candy; I use to suck on the sugar free altoids. My dry mouth went away;

Thought cotton mouth was a new strain of marijuana
                        I'd avoid marijuana too, not all strains cause cotton mouth.

Very bitter sour candy works, if you can stand it. I bet there is some sort of sugar free bitter something you can chew or suck on? fed

Comment

Originally posted by ffjosh View Post
                          you smoke weed? haha
                          Haha! This is way worse than any cotton mouth I ever had as a teenager when I did smoke a little. I am taking a new antidepressant and Meloxicam...both have side effects of dry mouth. I will check into the Biotene.

On a side note: Medical Mj is on the list to try for my pain if we can't get it controlled with these new medicines.

Comment

Working...
                          X