Copaxone starting today! Input welcomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone starting today! Input welcomed

Hi all, after 7 years of Avonex ,and 3 weeks of Tecfidera (allergic), I am starting Copaxone. I am really only concerned about the IPIR. How do you differentiate that from anaphylaxis ? Do you call 911 or ride it out ?

Hi CMRN: I was on Copaxone for many years. In the last year I started getting more IPIRs. It really doesn't feel like your throat is closing like in anaphalaxis which I have also had a couple of times from allergies to medications and foods.
    The IPIRs also do not last that long, and generally leave you with a giant headache. The chest pain is different from anaphalaxis in that it just feels painful, whereas the anaphalasis felt like someone was sitting on my chest. Seriously, by the time you go to call 911 the IPIR has passed.

However, if you start to get several of these, let your neurologist know. It may be something you are doing. For me it was not letting the syringe sit out of the refrigerator long enough before injecting. I loved C but had to stop due to progression. I hope it works well for you!

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thank you! I was terrified reading some of the descriptions! I have read that it may be caused by the medicine getting into a blood vessel. I was thinking I may aspirate before injecting as I do with IM injections?

Comment

It'll be fine. I've been on it for at least eight years.

The odd bit of swelling, bruising, accidental piercing of a blood vessel, but it's not too bad. Use your autoject until you get used to it. Took me a long time.

Good luck.

Comment

I have been on Copaxone for 5 years now. I have never had an IPIR. I get my med out for the week and put in a drawer. Never had trouble with it.

I have been on Avonex, Rebif, Tysabri, and Copaxone has been the easiest of the meds to take.
          Brenda
          Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Thanks all! Injection 2 tomorrow. I am sure I'll get used to it but it's nice to getting a little reassurance from those who have been there!

Comment

My experience is like 3Boys. I've been taking Copaxone for more than 2 years and have never had an IPIR. Even better...I've had no progression or disease activity in my MRIs. Remember, that's why we do this to ourselves.

You'll be amazed at how strong and brave you turn out to be!

Comment

I was on Copaxone for 14 years and never experienced a single problem. I just changed to Gelenya because it stopped working for me. But it worked great for a long time. I wish I didn't have to change. Feel good about it, it is a wonderful medicine.

Comment

Ipir

I'm not one to give advice as I'm new using this too and my biggest fear is that IPIR However, I went to my doctor yesterday for a follow up and I told her how much anxiety I have every time/ day that I have to inject thinking about that. She reassured me that...I think she said 1 in 1000 get that reaction (omg..she may have said 1 in 3000 big difference, I know! But the point is she told me it was rare and I should try not to think about it. Easier said than done though. I would actually like to hear from more people that have NOT had that reaction and have been using copaxone for awhile
                  Good luck
                  April

Comment

Hi All

I have been using Copaxone for over 16 years. During that time, I have had the IPIR only twice.

Once was after being on Copaxone for over a year & then it happened afew years after that. Both times, it lasted about 15 minutes.

I knew what was happening & just relaxed until it passed.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

I have taken Copaxone for nearly six years and never had an IPIR. Don't even think about it unless it happens, and then, from what I have heard, it isn't such a big deal. Good luck!
                      Take care, Wiz
                      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

I'm new to Copaxone too. Only been on it a little over a month now. I was so scared to start it because side effects scare the crape out of me! I am very happy to say I have not had any side effects except for the slight swelling at the injection site and some itching there too. But both of those I can definitely deal with versus the other side effects. Oh and sometimes it burns too but not longer than 10 minutes. It's actually comical when I realize I was walking down the hall at work, scratching my bottom!!

Comment

I actually had a rare side effect of fever and chills for 2 injections. Thankfully,that seems to have stopped! My obsession with IPIR has subsided also.

Comment

Working...
                          X