Work,Fatigue,MS -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work,Fatigue,MS -

Hopefully I can ask this question so it makes sense !

I am now working part time in a retail store, have an accounting job from home, and the daily things of home and life.

I know I tend to overdue - so far I am managing-

As I leave my neuro's office he always says " get plenty of rest"

Well, I get rest when I can - collapse when I must -

Does overuse make things worse ?

Am I overusing my nerve pathways ?

I grew up with the saying " you can sleep when you are dead ! "

So I keep going !

Any comments are welcome and sought after !

I work about 50 hours a week and am extremely tired each evening and on my days off but will not consider reducing my income unless/until it comes to the point when I just can't continue to do my job.

Personally I think the benefits of work which I enjoy and keeps me active, with my body and brain constantly being challenged outweigh the fatigue and lack of productivity on my days off...for now anyway.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

My totally not MS-medically-qualified opinion is overdoing it typically just makes us feel worse, sudo MS flare, etc.

But there was also a time before DMD's when the only rx aside from sx meds, was rest, rest and more rest for MS recovery. Even with DMDs I think rest is very under rated, MHO.

Corporate cost cutting and low tolerence for capable but chronically ill 'expensive' employees adds pressure for employees to not take LOA or rock the boat in the work place. We've heard some harsh accounts from 20-30yr employees being 'dumped', denied LTD, etc., in the era of corporate downsizing and cost cutting, with the result that exacerbation of sx's and not resting enough for recovery leaving us with fewer and fewer choices.

Comment

I guess it really depends on what type of fatigue you have. If you can push through and rest when you can, then keep working since your earning potential has been reduced due to MS.

My fatigue is different. I can't push through since it short circuits everything and my body will not work no matter what until it passes (could be hours).

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and experience !
          Sometimes it is good to hear how others deal ---

Comment

Working...
          X