Kitchen remodeling for accessibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen remodeling for accessibility

I use a walker sometimes but more and more a wheelchair. So, we are remodeling our kitchen. I was wondering if anyone uses and likes an induction cooktop. My right hand is weak and I'm not sure about the touch controls. Also my husband is 6'4" and he would be the primary cook. So I'm thinking of one of those lifts for the cooktop. They aren't cheap so I don't want to invest in it if people who actually use it don't care for it. I also wondered I'd people liked a single wall oven, it seems the controls would still be too high to reach. I have been reading and researching, but I'm hoping to hear from actual users. Love to hear what works for others! Thanks!

http://www.nuwavecooktop.com This is probably what I'll get

I'm tall, but I barely use the stovetop, because while sitting in my wheelchair, I can't see inside the pan. With this nuwave cooktop, I think I'll just set it on the cool oven door, and if my skillet splatters, after I'm done, I'll just remove the nuwave, close the oven door, and click "clean the oven."

I've made too many dumb mistakes, almost, like wearing my long sleeve sweater, while reaching over a warm burner. I'm ok, but can you imagine. I'm 57, I should know better than that. Please be careful when using the stovetop.

Comment

Somehow, I am having trouble posting things and my reply didn't appear. Anyway, thanks Marie! I checked out the nuwave website and it looks good. Since we are gutting the kitchen, I am still looking into an induction cooktop, so I can use more than one burner at a time. I hate to spend the money, when my husband is the primary cook. I've tried using my walker and standing up to stir and then sitting down quickly, but that's not the best. I've thought about a grab bar next to the cooktop, but I don't think I can make the cabinets sturdy enough to hold it. Does anyone else have anything they do that helps them cook? Would so appreciate any additional thoughts!

Comment

I did a complete kitchen redo last year and got a Bosch induction cooktop. I absolutely ADORE it! Couldn't recommend it highly enough. So easy to clean- nothing burns on. No worries about anything catching on fire- if I should have a potholder or anything too close. Things cook super quick, no boiling over. You do have to use certain cook ware. If a magnet will stick to the bottom, it will work.
        I did tell the person who did the cabinet lay out about my concerns about having space to maneuver a walker or wheelchair and they made sure it wouldn't be a problem. I wanted lots of deep drawers rather than cabinets with doors- it is easier to reach stuff at the back. Jen

Comment

Thanks Maryjane! Do you have the cooktop at a lower height or is it adjustable? Do you roll your wheelchair under or next to it? So many questions-I just want to make sure it's usable for both my husband and myself. Thanks!

Comment

It is at regular height. I have a rolling stool that locks when weight is on it that I use to sit on while cooking. My husband is 6'2" so this works for him as well. I lean on and roll the stool to where I want to be and then sit on it and that locks the wheels. I do have a wall oven (had a regular oven before redo) and find it easier to use. The cabinet layout is set up to be super easy to work in. Where the dishwasher is located- the cabinet for dishes is right there. Big deep drawers for pots and pans right under the cooktop. The oven located so when it is opened there is a very close counter to transfer hot stuff to. I have very little feeling in my hands and have no problem with the touch controls on the cooktop or wall oven. I tend to burn my self a lot without realizing it while cooking and the induction cooktop has helped. Jen

Comment

Thanks Jen-very helpful! I can't wait until this remodeling is done!

Comment

Working...
              X