Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do I know if I'm having another flare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I know if I'm having another flare?

Hi, I just got diagnosed like 11 days ago. When I went for my MRI I had tingling in my right side of my body some in my left hand, and I had some double vision for a few days prior to the MRI but it had pretty much gone away.

On the brain MRI I had 3 "small" lesions but 2 were very active so the Doctor got me started right away on steroids. 1 gram of IV solumedrol for 5 days, then 60mg of oral prednisone for 5 days. I was warned by my neuro that some people love steroids and some people hate them.

After my spin MRI the neuro thought it looked ok but the techs marked it abnormal they thought they saw something on the thoracic and cervical spine. Def not active, my dr didn't seem overly concerned about them.

OK so my issue I'm having right now. Today was my first day off steroids I don't know if I'm having new MS symptoms or if it's like side effects from the steroids still. I feel like I'm losing my mind! I don't know when to call in for something. My left foot is getting a little tingly which is never has before but I read that can also be a side effect of the meds.

He did say it could take a couple weeks for the steroids to get out of my system. But how do i know if i'm having another flare or if it's just the prednisone? I just don't know what I'm feeling. I think I'm losing my mind. I'm trying to be really positive about all of this. It's so overwhelming. It's all so new I don't even know what to think right now.

I'm not on any DMD yet. I"m still waiting for my insurance to go through I was told it could take weeks. But when all is said and done I will be starting copaxone.
    Sos219
    4/24/2014
    Avonex

Gilenya 1/29/2015- present

Hi sos219,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and your recent flare.

To be a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days. Most exacerbations last from a few days to several weeks or even months. You can learn more about exacerbations and their treatment here: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...aging-Relapses

The tingling is most likely a side effect of the steroids. I can also remember wondering what was going on when the tingling happened to me while being treated with steroids (would've been helpful if my neuro told me back then this was a side effect). http://www.rxlist.com/solu-medrol-si...rug-center.htm.

I hope the tingling subsides soon and best of luck on Copaxone!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
    X