ENERGY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENERGY

We all have this issue, I have had it before, have it now, probably will always have it. I am asking THIS question:

What medication are YOU on to help with your fatigue? I ( along with others I am certain) will also pay attention to non-medication help (exercise etc).

I have to go off of my Provigil, due to expense so am trying to come up with meds to present to my neuro when I ask for a different prescription.
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Hi fishead,

The medications used for MS fatigue are:

A.D.D. medications (Ritalin, Adderall, ect)

Amantadine

Provigil, that you mentioned and the newer, Nuvigil.

Some have found acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid to be helpful:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100794

The ever annoying (to some ) --- Exercise! And the popular --- Nap!
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I take the generic Adderall twice a day and it seems to help. I know adderall and ritalin are available in a generic form so that makes the copay pretty cheap.

I also exercise and for roughly an hour afterward I am quite productive, however it only lasts an hour.
      Lori
      Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Hi Lori,

Did you notice your energy affected with your changes in DMDs?

Comment

Ritalin 4 bucks at Wal-Mart
          DIAGNOSED=2012
          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Sorry to learn you are struggling at all, my dear~HUGS!

Before you seek out medications, I would check your diet. Sometimes foods/chemicals we ingest cause inflammation which contributes to "cog fog" and lethargy.

So a gentle detox, like Dr Oz promotes 21 day detox helps a lot to rid the poor liver/kidneys from being over worked and compromised, even due to the meds we take.

If you go the med route, just remember they'll probably work for awhile but can build up a tolerance like all meds. And its an artificial method, though sometimes needed.

Hopefully with a review of your diet and stress levels this will pass soon enough. But then waiting is not soon enough is it?

Wishing you only wellness my dear~
            Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
              Sorry to learn you are struggling at all, my dear~HUGS!

Before you seek out medications, I would check your diet. Sometimes foods/chemicals we ingest cause inflammation which contributes to "cog fog" and lethargy.

So a gentle detox, like Dr Oz promotes 21 day detox helps a lot to rid the poor liver/kidneys from being over worked and compromised, even due to the meds we take.

If you go the med route, just remember they'll probably work for awhile but can build up a tolerance like all meds. And its an artificial method, though sometimes needed.

Hopefully with a review of your diet and stress levels this will pass soon enough. But then waiting is not soon enough is it?

Wishing you only wellness my dear~
              Jan
              Jan,

Thank you dear (AND THANKS TO EVERYONE).
              Yes, I need to look at my diet. It has not been good lately. However, I do not know how to do a detox. Guess I will have to look that up.

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
                Hi Lori,

Did you notice your energy affected with your changes in DMDs?
                I noticed no change when I switched drugs. About 18 months after diagnosis the fatigue became constant and is relatively well managed with 10 mg of generic adderall twice a day.
                Lori
                Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I take 200 mg of modafinil, once in the morning when I get up and another about six hours later. Modafinil is the generic for provigil. This works pretty well for me.

I also exercise. I am in a wheelchair so I am obviously somewhat limited but I do what I can. Crunches, dumbbells, and resistance bands are some of what I do.
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I have been walking a minimum of a mile/day since last summer. It helps with a lot of things, but fatigue is not one of the things it is helping me with.

Comment

Keep movin'...

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                      I have been walking a minimum of a mile/day since last summer. It helps with a lot of things, but fatigue is not one of the things it is helping me with.
                      Maybe the fatigue would be even worse without the walking. I know that I have slacked off a lot lately and I am even more tired than before. It seems cruel to have to force ourselves to exercise, but even healthy people have to light fires under their own butts to keep healthy. I think it's great you are walking that much. Fatigue is absolutely hideous, but I, too, am trying to stay in the fight. I got a rescue dog last year. He is up for a walk anytime.
                      Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                      X