stress & career decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stress & career decisions

Going through some serious stress at work right now & wondering about the relationship between stress & MS...from those who live it, not just my doctors.

I was just re-orged...pulled from a boss I love & trust enough to disclose my MS to & put on a new team. Now I'm having serious sx. With the former boss, when the cog fog & physical sx got bad, I just put 'working from home' on my calendar & no questions were asked as long as I got my work done.

Now I feel I can't do that-this guy wants to do team lunch, meetings, happy hours...and is asking for some truly non-value added work (probably bc he's new & doesn't know any better).

So I'm wondering: how much can stress really drive MS worsening & has anyone changed jobs due to stress? I know the grass isn't always greener, but I have been staying just because of my boss & that's gone now.

I have good, not great, benefits here. I could go the 'reasonable accommodation' route, but not sure I'm up to the fight. With this dx, my career has already likely been cut short & I want to work as long as I can. Can stress really cause flares that may hasten disability?

I think "yes". Week from Hades, legs completely numb in protest.

Comment

I don't know. If you google MS, all sorts of reality hits.

Stress is no good, but I defy anyone to have a chronic, progressive, potentially/likely disabling disease and not have any stress.

I'd guess the new boss would already know you have MS - could be wrong, but surely they share stuff? Employers have to be nice to people with a disability these days.

If you quit, will the stress level go down, or will it go up?

Comment

I am totally convinced stress is the reason for my "subclinical MS" to activate and begin the process that resulted in my diagnosis 4 years later.

Back in 2005-2006 I was under extreme stress. My current boss spent 6 months trying to remove me from my job and replace me with someone I had trained! Then my mother-in-law entered her final months of life that only added to the situation. I found another job for the "replacement" at another school, my ex-boss soon joined her there, and I managed to end my career in the job I loved. Unfortunately, the damage was done, and the MS diagnosis followed.

If possible, I strongly recommend you attempt to find a way to mitigate any stress. MS certainly wasn't in my retirement plan, but it is what it is. I know I couldn't have worked and had MS. K-8 students are anything but stress-free!

Comment

I have been through major losses, stress, change of careers, change of jobs in the 10 years since being diagnosed with MS.

While I would agree excess stress isn't good for anyone's health I personally have not found a relationship between my MS symptoms and stress level, yet-knock wood.

I have said many times for me the thought of not bringing in money for as long as I can would be far more stressful and detrimental to my health than my high stress, high hour work week.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

I´ve had three relapses all preceded by a stressful life event. The overcomingms site has a new research article posted linking stress to specific lesion types.

Comment

I say try to work as long as you can, doing what you can.
              Brenda
              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Ending a career due to stress doesn't necessarily mean the end of stress in your life.

Will your 'good, but not great benefits' provide for the necessities of life and threatments for a very expensive disease?

I 'retired' 12yrs ago, and while I had no choice but to stop working (entirely too soon/young), the stress for a 'hit the ground running', busy, busy personality, with more fatigue than energy, all comes with it's own stress.

Add the stress of a lower income that comes with retirement/disability, a child to raise and I can attest to how stressfull a life of retirement due to disability is.

When you can no longer work, you just can't. But I would recommend taking advantage of every workplace law, accomodation, vacation, paid leave, FMLA, what ever it takes to continue working, until I just couldn't work any longer. The longer you work the better your income during retirement/disability is likely to be.

On the other hand, for two income households, financially things are not always as extreme as the financial loss of a single income household.

It's not an easy decision to make and I'm sending the best wishes your way.

Comment

Thanks. ..

I agree with all of you, I want to stay working as long as possible. I have no plans to leave without a new job (preferably one with better health & LTD insurance)lined up.

I'm just wondering if a more 'slow & steady' career might , in the long run, keep me working longer. If I'm sacrificing longevity by having so much stress.

I guess it comes down to the balance between job satisfaction, money and health care. Maybe there's a sweet spot where it would combine to be less stressful over all.

Comment

Stress definitely affects me. Even immediate stress. I saw my neighbors dog get run over by a car and I immediately could not walk....it was awful. When I am stressed at work my body feels it.
                    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                    Estriol 9/12-present
                    Still Hopeful.

Comment

I don't know about stress hastening disability, but I have identified (and my neurologist concerns) that my triggers are in this order:
                      1. Heat
                      2. Stress
                      3. Fatigue

A bad week at works equals all weekend just getting ready to face the next week. I have more good than bad weeks at work. I'd love to be able to afford to stop working, however that's not an option right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X