9 years and still on the fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 years and still on the fence

Here we go looking for advice, for 9 years I have this wonderful disease, but for 8 1/2 of those years I have been symptom free. The last 6 months have been very hard 4 relapses, 4 doses of steroids. Here is my question... I am police officer 3 years past my eligible retirement date. I have 23 1/2 years and was hoping for 25, but will settle for 24 years. Should I pull the pin and retire? Will being retired help MS that much? My job has no knowledge of my illness. I never told anyone I just hid it in the shadows. Looking for some advice good or bad.

Thanks
    Live every day as it is my last, dont give in, and be grateful for all we have, because someone is always worse off. God Bless America and God Bless our troops that are defending our freedom

Will it help to retire? Maybe, maybe not. I know there are days I wish I was closer to retirement (5 years to go!). It is hard to go to work, and I'd like to just sleep in.

But I know going to work keeps me moving. I know on the weekend I can convince myself that I just need to lay around and rest. I'm afraid I am really going to have to have a schedule to get myself up, and off to water aerobics or a walking group or I will end up in a wheelchair.

I'd try to go as long as you can and still be doing your job safely and competently. Maybe see if you can get a deskjob or something.
    Brenda
    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry you are going through a tough time. But I am not sure why you want to consider retirement? How is this relapse affecting your abilty to do your job? How about STD/LTD benefit first? A doctor would have to say you need to stop working for awhile and complete the paperwork. Is that what you want?

Personally, I would stick it out. Maybe there is another position you could do if you decide to use your LTD benefit first. A desk job?

Again, this is your decision. Talk to your doctor and see what they believe you can and cannot do. There are also functional evaluations exams you can get to see if you are having deficits in your abilities to work. This helps bolster your LTD case or future SSDI if need be.

Sorry again. But you never know. After a medical leave, you may feel better and more recovered. Consult with your neuro regarding a new treatment plan.

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hi,
        It sounds like you are much better off than most either way. If your finances allow and you are in the frame of mind to start enjoying your retirement than go for it! If you want to attempt to work longer for either the money or because you love your job maybe give yourself a bit more time to see if the MS crap settles.

Although we always hear that stress isn't good for us, for me, the stress of not working would make me sicker than the fatigue of working 50 hours a week.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
        Jules
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by MDER123 View Post
          Should I pull the pin and retire? Will being retired help MS that much?
          Unless you're looking for an excuse to retire (and it doesn't sound like it), I'd stick with it.

You didn't say if or how much you've recovered from your streak of exacerbations but if you can still do the job, how much does it matter? And if you retire, how will you fill your days?
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I can absolutely relate. I am military. And financially speaking I was shooting for 26.5 years for retirement. I made it to 24. .

I was incredibly lucky to be offered a Civil Service Job that was fairly lucrative and it somewhat made up for the overall loss in retirement. I was able to stay in that job for almost three years...and was then permanently retired.

Did retirement help my MS...absolutely. My job like yours could be quite stressful. Was it worth me trying to extend my time for maximum monetary benefit...absolutely!

IMHO...hang in there as long as you can. If it gets bad, I would disclose and ask for a desk job until you can retire with more time. They might accommodate you...just make sure you are 100% in the retirement window before you disclose.

And thank-you for your Service as a Police Officer.

Good Luck.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Sometimes one has the option of "disability retirement" instead of early or regular retirement, and sometimes the benefits of disability retirement are better - higher pay and continuation of health insurance possibly among them.

You might want to explore that option.

My doctors have always told me that a hard day (or multiple days) at work will not make my MS worse, though I may feel worse for awhile. They also admit that stress can make MS worse, so I guess it depends if you are one of those people who will be more stressed by not working.

Comment

9 years on the fence

Well thanks for the advice, I do recover from my exasperation's and feel great but 2 months after I recover I have another.

I guess you all said what I feel, I don't want to go, Ireally enjoy what I do, a desk job will NOT happen and sitting home wondering if I made the correct choice would probably effect me more than working. As for a disability pension it wouldn't be beneficial according to my union advisers.

I guess do what we do, grim, bear and deal with it.

Thanks
                Live every day as it is my last, dont give in, and be grateful for all we have, because someone is always worse off. God Bless America and God Bless our troops that are defending our freedom

Comment

I've had the same ride. It's been 17/18 years. T'was fine until four years ago, when it all went bluck, quite quickly. I truly thought I had benign MS until then. (That ten year myth.)

I have soldiered on, which is probably quite insane, in retrospect, but I can't see the point in quitting my job for the sake of my health.

What would be the point? My health ain't gonna improve.

It would be different if I had children, but I don't. Most of the eight step-kiddies are older than me.

Can you have a desk job?

Comment

Working...
                  X