Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had an OCT? (requested during second opinion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had an OCT? (requested during second opinion)

Thanks for responding to my post a couple of weeks ago about questioning my doctor's information following my 2nd MRI. I wouldn't have gone for the 2nd opinion w/o your input, and I think it could change my life!

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132462

I got the second opinion at the MS center of the local university and the doctor was very surprised that I had not already started treatment. She requested a couple of additional tests and recommended Tecfidera.

I'm now in the process of the prework to start Tecfidera.

The additional tests were a VEP and an OCT. My regular doctor didn't know what the OCT was (he did request the VEP). Is anyone familiar with OCT?

I get an annual OCT by my eye doctor. It measures the thickness of the retinal nerve. There is some association between thinning of the nerve and disease progression. In some cases, it can be thinning while nothing shows on MRI. It is another tool to help monitor effectiveness of medication and associated disease progression.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have OCT done twice a year; it's a non invasive and useful test. You basically stare into a screen at a light and it maps your retina to an absolutely incredibly precise degree. You also get results within minutes.

Hopefully it gives you some good info, and thankfully, it's really easy and completely painless.

Comment

Working...
      X