Need advice on leg(s) issue.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on leg(s) issue.....

Hi there, need some advice (which I'm sure has been posted before, I'm just too fried and in discomfort to do research).

I have had issues with a heel spur for the last eight months. Have had three cortisone shots, which helped for a while, but cannot have another for at least 4 more months. So, I have been stretching, using tennis shoes with custom inserts, and using a compound rx that the foot doc prescribed. Was helping for a bit.....however --

My feet hurt so much every morning when I wake up. I stretch them, but end up walking like Frankenstein for the first 30 minutes. I can handle it as long as one of my cats does not decide to plop in front of where I am trying to get to.

I walk a lot at work, so lack of exercise is not the problem, and I stretch constantly it seems....regardless, the discomfort (which turns into a burning sensation) radiates throughout the day up into my calves and upper thighs (only the backs...I don't feel the discomfort on the front). I take ibruprofen (600 mg) as well as Gabepentin (I can't take it at work, so only take it at night). Some days seem worse that others, so I cannot seem to pinpoint what might make things worse/better. The shoes I wear at work (unless I am wearing my tennis shoes) are Hushpuppy Softshoe, with a one-inch heel. (I have never been able to tolerate anything more than an inch-and-a-half.

Sorry to ramble on, but today it was so bad, I came home and had to take a hydrocodone--this is very rare, but it helped. Icing the bottom of my feet also helped somewhat.

My question is: Is there something similar to a heating pad, but is cold, that would go from my upper thighs to my feet, that I could sit on or take to work if needed? I do not like warm baths, and don't think that would really help at this point. Also, I don't believe it is all associated with the heel spur, since it is in both feet/legs.

Any guidance would be appreciated....I plan to retire from my job (been there over 25 years) by December, and hope I can make it until then.

Thank you all, and thank you for listening.
    Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

brief update: I have been reading others' posts, and feel embarrassed to have even submitted this one about the leg(s) issue. I don't get one here as much as I used to, but so needed to vent out the discomfort...which I should have just researched my issue and seen what others have done. No one has "said" or "typed" anything to my query, I just feel embarrassed. So again, I apologize.....everyone here has always been terrific over the years, and I truly appreciate this group!
    Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Dear swpanther! Please please never feel the need to apologize here. You are among friends, remember that - OK?

Evenings are sometimes very slow for people posting or replying to thread, so don't feel embarrassed that no one has replied yet - ever!

You have a legitimate concern and it is affecting your quality of life and you are in pain! I wish I could help you, but know little about heel spurs (I've heard the are painful however) You might want to bring this up with your Dr. so he could investigate further into the problem. An orthodist who specializes in foot problems might be the way to go.

Regardless, I hope you can find some relief! I am experiencing a really bad ankle issue, so I can understand how painful being on your feet feels.

And btw, congrats in advance for the 25 years on the job! That's quite an accomplishment.

Hope you feel better and find relief soon
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Swpanther1,

It sounds like it doesn't have anything to do with the heel spur since you said it is in both legs. I have struggled at times with the burning pain similar to what you describe. Mine will go from my butt cheeks down through my entire legs. The pain alone is exhausting!

Mine is worse at night when laying in bed trying to sleep. Many times I have to fill a water bottle with cold water and lay it on my calves and feet. It really stinks!

I take Gabapentin too and it hasn't cured it either. Perhaps you could add a small dose when you arrive at work? Maybe a small dose in the morning will help to take the edge off? I also added Amitriptyline at bedtime in addition to the Gabapentin and that has seemed to help. I heard some people use Cymbalta also for pain and have found it to be quite effective.

Additionally, when I have really bad days with a lot of MS symptoms, I take a small dose of generic Klonopin at bedtime. That seems to settle my nervous system down and can provide a bit of short term relief.

I have to say that that pain comes and goes for me...so I hope that gives you some hope that just because you have this pain now, it doesn't mean you always will. When I have bad days with that type of pain, I just focus on that on that thought and just live in the present..and yes, it can be really hard to do. Hugs to you! I hope you find some relief!

Comment

I use cryomax cold packs for injuries, muscle pain, etc. What I love about them is that they stay cold much longer than most, and come with a felt covering and Velcro strap. I've purchased mine at the grocery or drugstore. I use the smaller ones that are 6" x 6" and a larger one that is longer. They are pricey, but so worth it. I sleep with a cold pack every night.....

Comment

Thank you all so much for the replies and encouragement! I guess the embarrassment kicked in when I read other posts, and thought to myself "quit complaining"...I truly appreciate the guidance, and although it is a strange thing to say when others are going through much worse, at least we are not alone.

I thank you and am truly blessed to be a member on this site.

Comment

I don't have any suggestions for you but am reading other posts for help with my own feet issues.

Here's my story fyi:
              I have been having tendon/feet issues for about six months and though I am sorry you are struggling so much it was good to know I'm not alone. I have NO idea what I did to cause my problems other than being too sedentary this past year. I developed a lump on the back of my left leg just above the heel and very very tight and painful achilles tendon. My thinking is that because I walked so funny (like the Frankenstein desciption...perfect!) it caused the now painful plantar fasciitis of the the right foot. Saw a podiatrist for the diagnosis of achilles tendonitis and planter fasciitis with instructions to do stretches and roll a tennis ball around under my foot. Also, he put 1/2" heel inserts into my shoes which he said would help my fasciitis but not the tendonitis. Lump was...he wasn't sure but didn't seem concerned. Said to come back if I didn't get better.

I'm thinking of switching to a different podiatrist who may do a bit more to help me....like do I need orthotics? Physical therapy? or just keep stretching and live with it.

I pray no earthquake hits in the night for I hobble terribly upon arising and don't know how quickly I could "get out of Dodge". HA

Hope you can find some relief for you pain. And as I said...I'm watching for tips.
              Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Susie,

I saw an orthopedist for plantar fasciitis and he did order orthotics. I was wearing UGGS in the with ter which he said are as bad as flip-flops... no support. He ordered orthotics. While in the boot for right foot, developed Achilles tendonitis in left. I had the bump above the heel...it was related to the tendonitis. I was walking funny because of the boot. Did PT ... lots of stretches. 3 years later I still feel it if I wear shoes without good support or don't stretch.

Good luck.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Yes, I was diagnosed with plantar facil (left foot) as well. After having 3 cortisone shots within eight months, my foot doc (who is awesome) said I could not have anymore. I had already purchased Brooks tennis shoes and had custom inserts, and although I am allowed to wear those at work when needed, I still go home in a lot of discomfort.

My foot doc did prescribe a compound ointment, which does work wonders--you cannot get it at a regular pharmacy. This is what it reads on the tube (hope it is alright to post):

"60 GM, 3-4 x's per day, Cmpd: KT015/BC2/CY2/GB10/LD2"

I have to put a damp, warm washcloth on the bottom of my feet for a few moments, then rub a dab on the bottom of my feet. I know it has Baclofen, Gabapetin and Lidocaine in there, cannot recall what the KT or CY is. But it does help, as far as the feet.

Unfortunately, it is both feet now (as I rambled in the first post), goes up the calves and into the back of my thighs, so that's how I know it can't be just plantar. I am not sure if it is neuropathy (it is not sharp pains in the calves, just burning) or that other thing (starts with an "s"--gosh I hate when that happens that I can't think of a word). My 26 year old son (who happened to get his mother's strange sense of humor) said I look like Kramer from the show Seinfeld, in the episode where he put tight jeans on.

I do have one silly question: Is this the reason people with MS use a cane to walk (aside from balance issues)?

Thank you all again, and for being there!

Comment

Swpanther1. I have neuropathies both feet with burning swollen feeling in them especially when I get up in the morning too. I also have pain/spasms in shins and hamstrings. Taking a low dose of neuron tin in the morning seems to help take the edge off without affecting my work. I take a higher dose at night to lessen the pain while I try to sleep. I agree that since it's in both feet it's probably not the spur. It could be that you have pain in one foot from the spur and in the other because you are putting more pressure on it because the other foot hurts. And although I walk a lot at work I still have to do exercises to help the spasms. One other thought is the heels. I can't wear any heel at all. Maybe a flat sneaker/shoe would help.

Comment

Working...
                    X