Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breastfeeding and Lumbar Puncture

Hi
    This is my first post. After cervical and brain mris showing lesions, my neuro is having me get a LP. I currently nurse my 7 mo baby. Anyone else, been there, done that? How might breastfeeding effect LP recovery? Any good advice for having the LP recovery go as smoothly as possible? I also have rambuctious 4 and 2 yo kids. Excited to hear advice!

I just found this article on recovery. So, bad headaches generally come on a few days after procedure and need to be addressed in the hospital by a bloodpatch or further, is what I get from this article.

I'm not allowed to post links yet, here's something that could be cut and pasted:

Post lumbar puncture headache: diagnosis and management
    S V Ahmed, C Jayawarna, and E Jude

Comment

I know that I had to lay flat on my back for a while. That doesn't seem possible with breastfeeding and very young children. Maybe someone could watch them while you recover.

Comment

Since you already have lesions showing, WHY is he even ordering a LP? So if you are not comfortable, you don't HAVE to do this. Just tell him.

But since they take a little spinal fluid after a local anesthetic, I wouldn't think anything would affect your breast milk. But still. Ask him to wait for test or just not have it done.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck and welcome to MS World. We're here for you no matter what. We'll support you and walk this journey along side you if you want us to.

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

MJAN,,,,,,, She has great advise. Ask the Dr. what they expect a lumbar test to tell them.

I have had MS a long time. I've learned, sometimes the hard way, to ask a lot of questions.

Comment

Although I agree 100% with Jan...if you must do the LP...breast pump ahead of time. Milk will stay fresh for about 5 days or so in the fridge. That way if you don't feel well enough to feed, the baby can be bottle fed.

I would not think the Lidocaine they use is an issue, but ask the Neuro.

Good Luck.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I agree with the others. Why get that when you already know what you have?
              You, as the patient, call the shots.

I did this when they wanted another spine/cervical MRI. I already get a brain MRI before each Ty infusion because of the PML risk(I'm a strong +). I told him no more spine/cervical MRI's bacause there was nothing more I could do if it showed more lesions. He was fine with that.

Comment

Rachel, are you already diagnosed? Or are the cause of the lesions inconclusive at this point?

Comment

I agree with KatieAgain and Mjan's posts. The localized lidocane will not hurt the baby as it is superficial and doesn't enter the blood stream. It just basically numbs the skin and the layer below it. It lessens the pain when they stick you. It doesn't hurt but you do feel pressure from the LP. If its a traumatic LP, then you might have some issues.

I have had several and find the best ones are done under radiological assistance, using fluoroscopy.

Just be sure to follow the instructions which generally include lying down flat for 24 hours (including your head), with no pillow. Only up for quick bathroom trips. So you will need help that day. If the next morning you sit up and have even a slight headache (its a special one, you will feel it if you get it), then lye back down for another 12-24 hours to try to get that hole in your back to seal.

Best of luck
                  Lisa
                  Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                  SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                  Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                  X