First fulltime job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First fulltime job!

Hi there everyone! It has been a very long time since I was here, I have missed you all!

Quick background on myself, I was diagnosed with MS when I was 18 I am now 22, my original symptoms were numbness in my leg and hands which has since gotten better. I have been lucky enough to not have any relapses since my diagnosis! I am also currently on rebif.

I went through college with my MS diagnosis and coping with everything was hard to come to terms with. But I did and I graduated top of my class!! Two weeks ago I just landed my first fulltime job after college! This is what I have been waiting for and I'm very excited for this chapter in my life!

It has been two weeks of leaving for work at 8 and getting home at 6 five days a week. I have found that I'm not used to this and exhausted throughout the day. I am a website designer so I do not have an active job I sit at the computer most of the day. Do any of you have trouble with fatigue during work? I want to believe I will just get used to the adjustment but my days seem so long! When I get
    Home all I want to do is to to bed at 6!

I do sleep a lot normally. I go to bed around 10 and wake up at 7 so about nine hours of sleep! I just find myself so fatigued throughout the day it's making me sad when it should be such a happy time for me but then again I don't want to push myself too much!!

Any tips to help with fatigue? Can anyone relate?

Thank you so much to anyone who reads my story and a special thanks to anyone who responds <3

Congratulations for all you wonderful accomplishments! When I was your age and worked my first full time job, I was dog tired too. Add MS on top of that and it is a double whammy. My 21 year old son is adjusting to working longer hours, and it is a change. You might need to pace yourself differently. You might need to ask your neuro for something to help get through a long work day.

I hope others will have some suggestions for you, but I do think it will get better for you with some help.

Comment

Hi Dontstopbelieving: I don't really have any advise for you but wanted to tell you that your story is inspirational to me and makes me feel hopeful for my daughter's future: One of my twins, age 11 was diagnosed back in Nov 2013 as being high risk of developing MS(she has CIS) and so they are treating her as if she has MS and since Dec 2013, she has been taking Avonex. Luckily she hasn't had too much side effects - headaches and some muscle aches but Advil mostly takes care of that. She does very well academically - since kindergarten, she has been amongst the top I. Her classes (and now is in 6th grade). Your story gives me hope that my daughter too - will be okay since you were diagnosed at 18 and able to graduate from college and are working. Bless you and best of wishes. Please post periodically and let us know how you are doing .

Comment

I work full time also but 12 hour shifts fewer days. I feel very tired at work which is physically demanding as ICU RN. Making sure you really rest up on your days off helps. Not that you want to spend your weekends in bed! There are meds that help with fatigue. I haven't tried them because my insurance won't approve them but my neurologist says they really help. It's not easy but congratulations to you and all you have accomplished!

Comment

Congrats!

I work from home so it is a bit different but making sure your chair and desk setup is as ergonomic as it can be will help. Also take stand up and stretch breaks regularly.

If fatigue starts to become a big problem, talk to your Dr. about what meds might be suitable for you.

Comment

Congratulations don'tstopbelieving! You certainly live up to your username and I'm proud of you

As others have said, there are meds available for managing fatigue. If it gets to the point where things become unmanageable, you might want to talk to your doctor.

Many people here also take the supplements ALA & ALC to help with fatigue. Here is a lengthy thread about this http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100794.

Good luck to you in your next chapter!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Many congratulations on your first full time job!!

I am always tired but work around 50 hours a week. I recently started a new job and was exhausted but after about 3 weeks when I wasn't struggling to learn everything new I felt less tired.

9 hours of sleep a night is not abnormal, MS or not. People require different amounts and the 8 hour rule isn't a one size fits all, between 8-10 hours is within normal limits.

Best of luck to you and save every penny you can!
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
                Congratulations for all you wonderful accomplishments! When I was your age and worked my first full time job, I was dog tired too. Add MS on top of that and it is a double whammy. My 21 year old son is adjusting to working longer hours, and it is a change. You might need to pace yourself differently. You might need to ask your neuro for something to help get through a long work day.

I hope others will have some suggestions for you, but I do think it will get better for you with some help.
                Thank you so much for your response! I am hoping that it will just be an adjustment period to get used to! I certainly have a new enjoyment for relaxing on the weekends

Comment

Originally posted by Shebjo View Post
                  Hi Dontstopbelieving: I don't really have any advise for you but wanted to tell you that your story is inspirational to me and makes me feel hopeful for my daughter's future: One of my twins, age 11 was diagnosed back in Nov 2013 as being high risk of developing MS(she has CIS) and so they are treating her as if she has MS and since Dec 2013, she has been taking Avonex. Luckily she hasn't had too much side effects - headaches and some muscle aches but Advil mostly takes care of that. She does very well academically - since kindergarten, she has been amongst the top I. Her classes (and now is in 6th grade). Your story gives me hope that my daughter too - will be okay since you were diagnosed at 18 and able to graduate from college and are working. Bless you and best of wishes. Please post periodically and let us know how you are doing .
                  The same way that my story inspired you, your daughters story completely inspired me!!! She is going to be such a strong woman when she gets older! She has the brightest future with all the hope and possibilities in the world!

Even with my diagnosis I found strength in myself to fight! I am doing so great now that I actually go through most of my days without thinking about it. There is nothing I have not been able to do and I don't feel I have missed out on anything! Instead I feel like I am a more mature young adult and that has been a blessing for me!

My mom was my biggest strength through my diagnosis and still is! Your daughter is so blessed to have you by her side!

Also, when I am feeling afraid for the future, which is normal to happen when we don't know what tomorrow holds, I look at some statistics and the younger you are diagnosed a lot with being female in general has a likelihood of a better outcome! Not to mention there is so many treatment options now that our futures are brighter then ever!

If you have any questions please private message me! Everything will be okay your daughter will life a normal life she has a great strong mom!

I will for sure stay in touch and keep your daughter in my prayers!!! <3 hugs!

Comment

Originally posted by AriD View Post
                    I work full time also but 12 hour shifts fewer days. I feel very tired at work which is physically demanding as ICU RN. Making sure you really rest up on your days off helps. Not that you want to spend your weekends in bed! There are meds that help with fatigue. I haven't tried them because my insurance won't approve them but my neurologist says they really help. It's not easy but congratulations to you and all you have accomplished!
                    Thank you for your response!! It must be so demanding working as an RN! I am very thankful that before my diagnosis I had already chosen a career path that mostly involved sitting at my computer. I admire your strength!!

I for sure have a new appreciation of the weekend! I am feeling good now and looking forward to a good night sleep and a new day tomorrow!

I also am currently making changes to my diet, hoping that eating better and excersize might help!

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
                      Congrats!

I work from home so it is a bit different but making sure your chair and desk setup is as ergonomic as it can be will help. Also take stand up and stretch breaks regularly.

If fatigue starts to become a big problem, talk to your Dr. about what meds might be suitable for you.
                      I agree about the stretch breaks that's a good idea!! I talked to my friends at work about implementing a "3 o'clock walk" where we go out and walk around town for a drink or snack and come back to work. The times we have done it have greatly helped my day! Staring at the computer can add so much drowsiness to my day! and I read that walking and any exercise can really help fight fatigue!

Thank you for your reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                        Congratulations don'tstopbelieving! You certainly live up to your username and I'm proud of you

As others have said, there are meds available for managing fatigue. If it gets to the point where things become unmanageable, you might want to talk to your doctor.

Many people here also take the supplements ALA & ALC to help with fatigue. Here is a lengthy thread about this http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100794.

Good luck to you in your next chapter!
                        That thread is awesome thank you for posting that!!! I would rather try to add a supplement then a prescription medication at first. If the fatigue gets too much I will for sure look into asking my neuro about other meds!

My neuro just retired so I'm in the process of switching to another lots of anxiety there hoping for the best! It's hard to find the perfect person to help me through these challenges!

Thank you for your response!

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                          Many congratulations on your first full time job!!

I am always tired but work around 50 hours a week. I recently started a new job and was exhausted but after about 3 weeks when I wasn't struggling to learn everything new I felt less tired.

9 hours of sleep a night is not abnormal, MS or not. People require different amounts and the 8 hour rule isn't a one size fits all, between 8-10 hours is within normal limits.

Best of luck to you and save every penny you can!
                          Thank you so much for your response! I am hoping this will be an adjustment period and I will get used to being out for so many hours!! And also hoping it won't get worst when I'm hot in the summer!

It also makes me feel good to hear about other peoples sleep, I thought I was sleeping so much!! If I keep being so tired I might try to go to bed an hour earlier and get a full ten hours if I need to!

Thank you so much and you bet I am saving everything!!!!!

They also have 100% healthcare coverage WOO HOO!!!!!

Comment

Congratulations on your new job. I understand feeling tired when you first start working. I think it takes lots of people, even those without MS, time to adjust to a new schedule.

My biggest fatigue cure is excercise. The more active I am the less tired I feel. I also take wheatgrass powder (I mix it with apple juice). The combination of excercise and green juice keeps me going on 6-7 hours of sleep. I know thats not ideal but most days I can't fall asleep to get more hours.

Comment

Congrats on your new job

I also work at a computer all day (illustrator/designer) and I find I get 10x more fatigued if I sit too long. Try installing a "break reminder" program on your computer. I use one for Macintosh called Time Out that works great. I take 2-3 15 minute (albeit slow or occasionally gimpy) walks during the day too.

Drink plenty of water as office air is dry and can dehydrate (also makes for major fatigue!)

Best of luck
                              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
                              X