Dealing with heat during the summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with heat during the summer

I have found a job I think I would enjoy, it is working in an outdoor nursery. The major issue for me would be dealing with the heat. Is there something cool, maybe like a cool pack that I could wear around my neck to help with heat?

Hi amyrising~ The MSAA has a program for free assistive devises, including cooling vests and scarfs, etc. Here is the link http://www.mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling/

Here is another article from ActiveMsers http://www.activemsers.org/tipstrick...olingvest.html The article shows many choices, but some are quite pricey. I bought a evaporative cooling vest because it was cheaper, but I regret it now. It is very heavy when wet and doesn't keep me cool for very long when I'm working in my gardens. I use a spray bottle when I'm outside working and spray my face and neck down, but using a hose works best

Really neat about your new job! Good luck to you
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Cool packs just don't last that long, you would probably do better with a full cooling vest. It is an investment that lasts and lasts. I've had my coolsport vest for about 8 years. The website activemsers.com has lots of suggestions and reviews on cooling vests and other products.

You need to be sure you can tolerate the heat as long as you will need to. Maybe the nursery area of a major store would be an option. You can escape to cool off in the shaded areas and the store itself.

Comment

MSAA has a vest that is available for patients. That helps but keeping the head and neck cool seem the the most important things. I use a Colpac neck ice pack. The trouble is, you'd need a freezer near by with extras because they warm up fast. It's good to wear a hat. Now, if they would invent a hat that has ice water running through it you'd be in great shape.

Sounds like a fun job. Being around plants always makes me feel good. If it was your job to spray the plants with mist that would help create a different eco environment and keep you cool.

Comment

I don't actually have the job yet but a friend has said he would hire me if I thought I could do it. I'm not sure, some days I could...others I couldn't. I will look into some cooling devices. Thank you for the ideas. Last summer we had weeks of 100+ temps...not something I could handle.

Comment

Originally posted by amyrising View Post
            I don't actually have the job yet but a friend has said he would hire me if I thought I could do it. I'm not sure, some days I could...others I couldn't.
            Could you do the job with reasonable accommodations? If so, then it's discriminatory to say they'd hire you "if you can do" the job, which presumably means "like a person without a disability."

ADA.gov says that restructuring a job or modifying a work schedule (15 min. in the AC every hour, for instance) is reasonable:

"Examples of reasonable accommodation include making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and usable by an individual with a disability; restructuring a job; modifying work schedules; acquiring or modifying equipment..."

If you want this job, and you'd be qualified other than the limitations placed on you by your MS, then you deserve a shot at it, and the help needed to be their best employee, too!

Comment

Working...
            X