Cane use advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cane use advice needed!

I've been using a cane for over a year now for balance & vertigo issues. The problem I'm having is I use it with my right hand since it's my left side that's weaker. I had a tendon issue in my right shoulder that has returned due to using the cane a lot lately, and I know I've put more weight on the cane when I'm tired or weak. I tried switching hands, it's awkward & clumsy and feels unnatural. Has anyone else had this? Any tips for me?
    Possible MS 1993, RRMS, Dx 2007, SPMS 2013. Avonex - Oct '07 - Jul '12, Gilenya - Sept '12 to May '13, Tecfidera - June '13 to present. You see things as they are and you ask why..I dream of things that never were and I ask 'Why Not?!'

I have seen forearm canes that may help provide better support. It looks similar to an offset cane, but actually wraps around your forearm. If I recall they were for people with weak grip or hands that needed additional support. They also have forearm crutches that may or may not help better. I've never shopped for either, but your local medical supply might have both in stock for you to try.

I hope you've seen the doctor about your shoulder. It sounds painful.

Comment

Thanks

I found this combo crutch-cane thingy I recalled hearing about at a MS seminar I once attended. I hope they help. I have seen a doc about the shoulder a couple years ago, it's an issue with my bicep tendon, but after several months it went away. That happened before I went from RRMS to SPMS, I wasn't in need of any assistance back then. If this continues I'll go back to see him. Deep breath...!
      Possible MS 1993, RRMS, Dx 2007, SPMS 2013. Avonex - Oct '07 - Jul '12, Gilenya - Sept '12 to May '13, Tecfidera - June '13 to present. You see things as they are and you ask why..I dream of things that never were and I ask 'Why Not?!'

Comment

I would go to a physical therapist to make sure that you are using the cane correctly and that it is the right length for you. I use my cane on the side of my foot drop and it fits into the palm of my hand when it is fully down at my side. Initially it was too long and was pushing my shoulder up causing problems. Good Luck

Comment

I've had similar problems. Been told to use several different types of canes. Different handles different stress points. It seemed to help.

I got a bacolfin pump last March and now use a forearm crutch.

Comment

Working...
          X