Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowel movement problem

Hi,

I have a serious question, I am having problem moving my bowels....I just can't move my bowels the way I use to. I know that this MS related but I want to hear some people with there bowel movement problems....please share with me!

Hi Diguilio,

Aside from eating more fruits, veggies and drinking lots of water, here are some links Kimba posted for another poster.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...Bowel-Problems
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...ns/Mineral-oil
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Nat...Bull_Bowel.pdf
    http://www.mymsaa.org/about-ms/symptoms/bowel-problems/
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...t=constipation
    http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...problem-linked

Exercise is beneficial also - even walking short distances. But then again, if that's not possible, hopefully you'll find something that helps you.

A friend of mine, who does not have MS, found extra magnesium has helped her. I don't know the quantity, but you should talk to your doctor if you're thinking about taking extra supplements.

I hope you find relief,

Bree

Comment

Yes, I have that problem, too. I used to be very 'regular'. not any more. I noticed this about 2 years before I was diagnosed. I am now taking a daily probiotic. I drink about 2 quarts of water daily. If I find that I am 'bound up', I will mix up some Miralax. MS is a real 'buster'. Good luck

Comment

I guess that I thought too long about what I did . When I was going to mention has already been mentioned. So I guess that I will just tell you good luck.

My neurologist`s PA told me to drink a concoction that consisted of,

1/2 cup of prune juice
        one serving of Apple sauce
        1 tablespoon of wheat germ
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

bowel issues

Yes, problem for me also. Having been regular my whole life this was suddenly quite disturbing. I have added a Probiotic supplement daily and now do smoothies. Fresh fruit, organic juice, plain yogurt and Metamucil. Not only nutritious but yummy also! And it has helped a lot.

Comment

I've been a daily veggies for lunch person for +20+ yrs, usually a lunch plate of steamed brocolli or a huge salad. When MS hit full time, I was incontenient for 10yrs. After starting my infusion DMT, within 3mos incontenience resolved.

Now 2yrs later and since I'm having worsening mobility issues, I'm constipated. I'm still have daily veggies for lunch, sometimes dinner too, it's hasen't improved the constipation. I'm guessing the slow down in physical activity from mobility issues is responsible for the constipation. Inactivity is the cause for me. I'm waiting to any day now sprout green leafy things from my ears.

I'm considering a mild 'stimulant' for some relief, like flax seed or something, until I talk with the doc next week.

Most supermarkets carry flax seed by the bag for sprinkeling on your usual food/meals. Hope it helps until you talk with your doc.

Comment

I take 2, 400mg capsules of magnesium, a day. This does it for me.

Comment

I had a horrible time with constipation for about 10 months. I finally saw my gastro Dr. after about 3 months. He said Miralax would help. I have taken it, sometimes every other day, sometimes a half dose, and was able go regulate how I took it, and was able to be pretty comfortable.

Comment

Sometimes constipation is due to MS. Somethimes its due to the meds we take. Sometimes it due to just getting old.

OTC laxatives (stuff we buy off the shelf) are not really meant to be taken daily. Over time, leaning on an OTC as a daily habit can mean the OTC loses its effect.

Diet is important for many things besides MS. I'm not talking about a "name diet" just what we eat and drink each day and when we eat it. Keep it simple and figure out what works best for you. Sometimes a little change (variety) in diet from time to time can help quite a bit.
                  You might try to keep a log of everything you eat and drink for several days and then review it. Most times, there will be some surprises- especially in how much water we're not drinking.

Exercise is important. You need to move the muscles around in your abdomen because that's what helps in moving stuff through the bowel. I'm not talking about weight training or running marathons (unless its something you like to do), just basic movement between the chest and hips. Walking is huge if you're able.

Comment

I take 2 gummie fibers daily.
                    My medications mess with any regularity. I also drink a 1/4 tsp of mmj in with my single serv expresso machine and that makes it all happen in the morning. I've never been so regular. fed

Comment

I found myself in the E/R with tummy pains. Turned out I was constipated without knowing it. I've been taking Miralax for about a year or so, almost every day. My gastro increased it when he heard about this event.

I asked the pharmacist if I could be getting too much Miralax. She said that considering the MS and Graves Disease that the doctor is having me take enough of it to keep the pipes clear and that's ok.

Healthy people should probably NOT take as much as we do.
                      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                        I found myself in the E/R with tummy pains. Turned out I was constipated without knowing it. I've been taking Miralax for about a year or so, almost every day. My gastro increased it when he heard about this event.

I asked the pharmacist if I could be getting too much Miralax. She said that considering the MS and Graves Disease that the doctor is having me take enough of it to keep the pipes clear and that's ok.

Healthy people should probably NOT take as much as we do.
                        My gastro said it would not harm me to take for a while. I took it every day, or every other day for several months. I started taking Bene-fiber 2x a day. I rarely have to take Miralax anymore.

Comment

Check the side effect profile of any drugs and supplements you take.

I have upped my fiber. Beans and high fiber cereals. Most fruits and veggies contribute minor amounts of fiber.

Comment

bowelo movements

I am no longer able to have bowel movements. The muscles in the colon are very weak and can no longer push the contents through. The results is a bag on the side. The small intestines empty into it and life goes on as usual.

Lois

Comment

mmj?

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post
                              I take 2 gummie fibers daily.
                              My medications mess with any regularity. I also drink a 1/4 tsp of mmj in with my single serv expresso machine and that makes it all happen in the morning. I've never been so regular. fed
                              What is mmj? Sounds interesting…in espresso?

Comment

Working...
                              X