Exercise if you can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise if you can

Back in 2012, I thought people were crazy when they encouraged me to exercise. My lower body had gotten so weak that even my foot just barely touching something would cause me to lose my balance and risk falling! As the weakness started slowly going away, I added exercise into my daily routine. Then, by the time summer of 2013 hit, I was doing so much more than I ever thought possible and I had retired my handicap placard on all days except for a rare weak day.

I recently got back into the workforce after a year of not working, and the fatigue that hit me as a result completely took away any chances of me working out. After getting off work, all I want to do is sleep until it's time to get up and do it all over again. I probably haven't exercised in a month and every bit of progress I made last year is now gone! I never was sure if my improvements were because I was slowly remitting or if it was the exercise I had been doing, but now I know it was all exercise.

I had no idea that things could turn around that quickly. Taking a week off and then going back was always hard on me for only the first workout, but now I'm so weak, I'm back to struggling with very easy everyday things, making it even harder to go back because I know I won't be able to handle it at first again. Seeing how it has affected my body in such a short period of time is shocking. I had no idea that was even possible.

I've definitely learned from this. If you are able to exercise, do it! You will feel so much better! If I can ever conquer my fatigue issues, I'll be going back. MS really sucks, especially when you feel like you can't control what is going to happen. When I took control of my fate, I made so many improvements in my mobility that nobody ever knew anything was even wrong with me unless I told them, and then they were shocked because of how well I was doing. When I first had my huge relapse, I felt like there was nothing I could do to make things better, but I couldn't have been more wrong. No, we can't control everything, but we can definitely feel a lot better by taking control over what we can.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
    I've definitely learned from this. If you are able to exercise, do it! You will feel so much better! If I can ever conquer my fatigue issues, I'll be going back.
    Thanks for the reminder Istrl. Personally, I've been letting exercise go by the way side lately. Oh, lots of valid excuses, but I can find the time. And yes, exercise does so much for us physically and mentally.

Have you tried Acetyl L-Carnitine & Alpha Lipoic Acid others have found helpful in fighting fatigue? Hope you're able to start exercising and notice improvements again.

Good luck,
    Bree

Comment

Agreed. I made HUGE gains last year and now I'm back to below where I started due to a bad month of med side effects.

Frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Agree, agree, agree

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
        Back in 2012, I thought people were crazy when they encouraged me to exercise. My lower body had gotten so weak that even my foot just barely touching something would cause me to lose my balance and risk falling! As the weakness started slowly going away, I added exercise into my daily routine. Then, by the time summer of 2013 hit, I was doing so much more than I ever thought possible and I had retired my handicap placard on all days except for a rare weak day.

I recently got back into the workforce after a year of not working, and the fatigue that hit me as a result completely took away any chances of me working out. After getting off work, all I want to do is sleep until it's time to get up and do it all over again. I probably haven't exercised in a month and every bit of progress I made last year is now gone! I never was sure if my improvements were because I was slowly remitting or if it was the exercise I had been doing, but now I know it was all exercise.

I had no idea that things could turn around that quickly. Taking a week off and then going back was always hard on me for only the first workout, but now I'm so weak, I'm back to struggling with very easy everyday things, making it even harder to go back because I know I won't be able to handle it at first again. Seeing how it has affected my body in such a short period of time is shocking. I had no idea that was even possible.

I've definitely learned from this. If you are able to exercise, do it! You will feel so much better! If I can ever conquer my fatigue issues, I'll be going back. MS really sucks, especially when you feel like you can't control what is going to happen. When I took control of my fate, I made so many improvements in my mobility that nobody ever knew anything was even wrong with me unless I told them, and then they were shocked because of how well I was doing. When I first had my huge relapse, I felt like there was nothing I could do to make things better, but I couldn't have been more wrong. No, we can't control everything, but we can definitely feel a lot better by taking control over what we can.
        Honestly I hate exercising, but I hate what I feel like when I don't a lot more. The hardcore cardio gives me the best results, but I mix in Yoga and Pilates as a treat.

I treat exercise like my job, now. My whole family wins when I do it. To quote Nike, "Just Do It". Don't overthink it. Even if it just means putting on your tennis shoes and walking around the block to keep in the exercise groove, just do it. Oh yeah, and try not to let this cruddy weather stop you!
        Tawanda

Comment

Do what you can. Just do something!

Comment

Working...
          X