Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech

More than one cause for speech impairment, and muscle control is one of them. It isn't technically cognitive in origin. Of late I have been getting tongue-tied trying to articulate multisyllable words, and it isn't because I am not remembering the word, failing to remember its meaning, or simply grasping at straws trying to think of what to say. It is a motor control issue in that I cannot articulate the numerous sounds that the tongue, lips, throat, and diaphragm are supposed to regulate. I tried to say refrigerator this morning. I failed. Got stalled after the second syllable.

I read up on the topic, and while a quick Google search yields info, one site had this to say:

By: MSF Staff and reviewed by the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation Medical Advisory Board

The conversation skips along until… the long pause. That word that just won’t come out, or the odd quality to your voice that starts when it does, can be frustrating and embarrassing.

As many as 40 percent of people who are diagnosed with MS will face speech difficulties at some time....

Human speech ends with the mouth but starts with the brain. The lungs, vocal cords and tongue all play a role, as well as the lips, throat and jaw. That leaves several places along the way that speaking can get complicated when MS is involved.

“When there is damage to the nerves that stimulate the muscles, they may not work as quickly or precisely,” according to Bonnie Schaude, outpatient speech pathologist at the MS Institute at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Ga.

Motor speech disorders, including those most commonly associated with MS, are called dysarthrias... read more here: (http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=358)

I am a vocalist, a singer for a duo. I wouldn't mind reading others' thoughts about impaired speech. I took Tysabri for over 5 years without incident but went off it due to JCV+ and length of time on treatment. I now take Gilenya. My neuro scheduled me for an MRI on Tuesday.

Anyone care to comment on personal experience? Thanks.

I have speech impairment due to muscles of my tongue and lips not functioning correctly. My speech problems are specifically due to enunciation. My tongue and lips lack movement on one side and cannot produce certain sounds. Thus with some words, or some consonant blends, my speech takes on a slurred sound. I rarely deal with cognitive word issues (finding the right word, etc.)

A speech therapist can help evaluate what type of problems you're having, formulate a reason why and perhaps a treatment (i.e. speech therapy) for certain deficits.

My problems are pretty evident...my tongue has muscle problems on one side, as do my lips (I have a crooked smile.)

When I was first diagnosed, many years ago, my neuro asked me if I was aware I had a speech problem. I was aware but hardly anybody else noticed. As the years have progressed, the enunciation issues have become more pronouced. If I slow down my speech, and think very hard about pronunciation of a certain word, I can sometimes make it understandable...but there are some words it just doesn't happen with.

My "th" blends are awful, but the speech therapist confirmed that I had already employed a strategy to deal with it, without even realizing it. I use a soft "da" for short, common words like "the" and "that".

Some common phrases that help neurologists or speech pathologist to determine what sounds or letters are causing enunciation problems are these phrases: British Constitution; baby hippopotamus; and West Register Street. In my case, for instance, baby hippopotamus is easy to say, British Constitution, I have to think a little bit about in order to enunciate it right, but West Register Street comes out like I'm a drunk, and no matter how hard I try, or how slow I say it, it still comes out slurred. As to exactly what each phrase tells the pathologist or neuro, I don't have a clue, but it lets them know which parts of your tongue, lips, have deficits in articulating the words or phrases.

It's a really interesting field and a speech pathologist can help you identify ways to improve the quality of your speech. I was told that I had intuitively developed ways to deal with many of my deficits to make my speech more "understandable." Isn't it amazing how the brain can figure how to cope with issues without us even being aware it's doing the job.

Comment

Tarbaby,

Thanks for starting these threads about Speech!

Originally posted by rdmc View Post

Some common phrases that help neurologists or speech pathologist to determine what sounds or letters are causing enunciation problems are these phrases: British Constitution; baby hippopotamus; and West Register Street. In my case, for instance, baby hippopotamus is easy to say, British Constitution, I have to think a little bit about in order to enunciate it right, but West Register Street comes out like I'm a drunk, and no matter how hard I try, or how slow I say it, it still comes out slurred. As to exactly what each phrase tells the pathologist or neuro, I don't have a clue, but it lets them know which parts of your tongue, lips, have deficits in articulating the words or phrases.
      rdmc,

How interesting, especially West Register Street, after something that happened to me today. Cerebrospinal came out like jibberish when I tried to say it today to my nurse. I had no idea why I couldn't say it, since I don't recall ever having a problem saying it before, and had no problem rattling off some other big words (no R's, now that I think about it).

I thought it was wierd when I didn't enunciate British that well, but could say the next four words just fine. Then West (although West sounded fine) Register Street came out kind of garbled. Can enunciate British just fine now, along with West Register Street and cerebrospinal (as long as I think about those words first). I guess it has something to do with forming the w + r sounds repetively?

Good to know, as I'll be paying closer attention to how I say words with R's!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Tar baby...I also thank you for starting this thread!

Those 'phrases', for determining one's speech issues, are very interesting. I also 'attempted' to say them, and the 'West' phrase (sorry, brain has forgotten the complete phrase already!), was the hardest for me.

If I may also mention a couple other symptoms, that I have noticed lately...rather subtle still, but I am thinking they might be related.

I will start to speak, and all of a sudden, I notice that I can barely hear what I am saying, myself...let alone the person to whom I am actually speaking. The first 'sounds' that come out are very 'soft' sounding...and maybe garbled. So then I stop, pause, and begin again, and it seems to come out more clearly.

Many, many times, my hubby has asked me to repeat what I said...I always thought it was because his hearing isn't the best, but maybe it has more to do with me.

One other symptom, is similar to the other, and others here have mentioned it...I will begin saying a certain word, and I find I am unable to pronounce it correctly. As RMDC commented...it feels 'physical' in nature, like my tongue doesn't want to work right. My Neuro recently said that I 'definitely have something going on with your left side', so maybe it is similar to your situation, RMDC. Thank you for the enlightenment!

Also...in that article provided, it mentioned 'harsh' sounding sounds. Again, many, many times, my hubby will all of a sudden physically move away from me, while I am talking...and I have learned, it is because my voice is 'too loud' for him to handle, while sitting that close. What is amazing, is that I am almost constantly 'aware' of how my voice 'sounds', but yet, apparently, I still cannot 'control' it adequately. Pretty interesting...and frustrating.

So to all of you...thank you for the insights...I truly thought I was 'imagining' it all...now I at least know that I might not be crazy (at least with regard to my speech...lol)! Everyone hang in here...one step at a time. Love and Light...Jan.

Comment

i`m also affected, I really need to slow down my speech to be understood.

"As the years have progressed, the enunciation issues have become more pronouced. If I slow down my speech, and think very hard about pronunciation of a certain word, I can sometimes make it understandable...but there are some words it just doesn't happen with.

My "th" blends are awful, but the speech therapist confirmed that I had already employed a strategy to deal with it, without even realizing it."
          I could have written this!

I am constantly reminded of all of this because I use Dragon voice recognition software. It is a talk to text program.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Well, not much closer to understanding why my body chose to initiate hostilities in this new area but relieved that the steroids appear to have calmed the relapse down somewhat. I wasn't sure if they would have the same effect that I have encountered when trying to alleviate physical symptoms like numbness/tingling, but they apparently work the same. If they would have worked n another symptom, it is safe to conclude they have worked on this one as well.

I am glad to report that thus far, I am experiencing improvement in the speech difficulties and diminished frustration as I work my way through multisyllable words. So I wanted to tell all of you that if you suddenly experience dyarthria it is probably safe to assume you are on your way into a relapse and can get it treated like other symptoms. I am just relieved to think that I won't be prevented from singing with my duo - we are so close to getting out and playing now that we have three hours of material recorded, and if I had to give up the joy of singing I would have been SO bummed. Yay, steroids.

Comment

I have some very small problems with speech but have bigger problems with swallowing. After having numerous tests done and my esophagus dilated twice I was sent to a speech therapist. She helped me with my swallowing and my speech using electric stimulation along with 7 different exercises for me to practice at home.

I would highly recommend speech therapy for me I am only 43 so I felt ridiculous going there but it has made a huge improvement on my life. Hopefully you can find someone you can got to for some help with your speech I can relate to how frustrating and embarrassing it can be.
              Tira

Comment

Been here a long time

Speech issues are usually taboo on here. I have been using a DynaVox speech machine. When it died, I put Talking Tiles on my laptop.

I have facial paralysis each time I have a seizure. But my normal speech is fine for 15 minutes before fatigue sets in & speech is sloppy.

I have had MS for 53 years.

KK

Comment

Working...
                X