Not INvisible Symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not INvisible Symptoms

Okay, what do you say to your coworkers when they stare at you twitching and tremors?

I've been working through this limbo, DX'd with transverse myelitis with a bright/enhanced lesion at C2 so far. Brain next week (i hate insurance companies).

Anyway, my difficulty walking, body twitching and hand tremors are obvious. I've been answering the questions with the truth, "they don't know yet."

What do you say? I don't want the label. I have a sister with PPMS and I KNOW that when they know they treat you differently. I watched it happen with her. Not just at work, but friends and family too!

Anyway, what excuses do you use? Or should I just say what it is and grow beyond the stigma??????

Once you disclose at work, you can't get it back. I am not sure how,secure you are at your workplace, but even if you tell one person, it could eventually get to management and HR. In an ideal world, you could be truthful and try to educate people. But sometimes, the real world can be harsh. Therecarr lots of threads that illustrate how hard it can be.

I personally would not tell unless you are asking for an accommodation. I would thank your coworkers for their concern and just say it is still a mystery.

Good luck to you as you search for a cause and how you decide to deal with work.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

What if you say something like "whatever I have is definitely neurological, it may take some time for docs to know exactly what it is."

FWIW, I kinda like your response. Short of saying what you probably feel like saying (It's NONE of your business so stop staring), I think your response is very appropriate.

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

You may want to Google "essential tremor." The brain stem and thalamus do not talk to each other properly. It does not impact life span, health, or insurance rates. You can even go the whole nine and get some "information" for your coworkers from the Essential Tremor Foundation and make jokes about how you have to drag yourself around like this and don't even have a good buzz on.

Comment

Kaitar, how has it been going at work?

Comment

Working...
          X