Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya and piercings

Hello everyone,

My name is Lauren and I am 20 years old. I was diagnosed with MS last September. I started Gilenya last month, February 20th. I am supposed to be getting a piercing tomorrow but I just remembered that Gilenya lowers the white blood cell count...my doctor never prohibited piercings... but I'm still hesitant. I don't want it to get infected. I would make sure to take care of it but I'm not sure that would matter with a low white blood cell count. I am taking a daily multivitamin twice a day and I try to eat as healthy as possible. I am in good health other than my MS.

What are your opinions on this? I would be super bummed if I couldn't get the piercing I've been wanting but I also want to be safe..

Thank you for your time

Lauren

Since my diagnosis, I always ask the question, "Is this going to throw me in a flare or make things worse." Unless that answer is an unequivocal, absolutely not "No"...then I don't do it.

The Mommy in me says, "Can't you just Superglue some pretty gemstones to your body instead? It will look like a piercing and will last several showers."
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Your risk for any type of infection is higher. I wouldn't.
      I respect skin infections because I know people who've had mrsa.

But you know yourself. If you can keep it sterile... If you are the sort of obsessive person who would sterilize it frequently, and get to the doctor at the first sign of trouble...

Comment

I don't know... For me it would depend on the type of piercing, jewellery, your experience and location. All factors can make a difference.

Comment

Working...
        X