Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice

I can't perform all of my job duties. How do I ask for a reassignment temporarily?

I have already applied for FMLA/SPF at my workplace because of the time I have already missed for testing and doctors' appointments.

I work in a lab and only really have a problem with one weekly assignment because it requires standing for 2 plus hours at a time and I just can't stay on my feet that long right now.

I'm not Dx'd officially yet. Brain MRI next week. Spine MRI looks "classic" and have confirmed demyelation of spinal cord. All other mimics ruled out.

Please let me know what you think and any advice for the conversation to have with my boss is welcome (preferably in a way not to tell her exactly why).

Is it possible to have a stool upon which you can be seated instead of standing for 2 hours? If so, then maybe you can avoid the need for any "accommodations" and any questions about why you ask for that.

The reason for this is because many employers will discriminate against an employee with a disability, perhaps especially one with an expensive illness that will run up the health insurance bill. Such discrimination is illegal of course, but the employer may still try it.

You might just say you hurt you back skiing, or sprained your ankle while rollerskating, thus implying something short-lived, and due to an athletic injury. No "bad" disability implications.

Alternatively, perhaps your primary care doc could write a brief, non-specific note saying that due to a recent (hopefully brief) medical condition, you will need to stand for no longer than XX minutes.

Under federal law, you employer is not entitled to know your diagnosis, only what accommodations are needed for you to do your job.

There are many threads here on "Should I disclose my MS diagnosis to my employer." My bias is never to disclose unless absolutely necessary, because in my experience, employers do discriminate against the disabled.

Good luck however you decide to handle this.

Comment

TM - Thanks

Thanks onlyairfare! My Dx is officially transverse Myelitis right now and that's what is on the fmla/spf paperwork for HR. As that is a temporary thing I do not have too many worries with HR I guess.

It's a great idea to get Dr. to write a note about limiting standing! Didn't think of that, but I offer the excuse that life kinda is overwhelming and stinky right this moment in my world.

I already emailed my PCP's office for a note!

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X