Ankle surgery and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ankle surgery and MS

This week my ortho Dr suggested that I need surgery on my ankle and I am a bit nervous about it. I'm wondering what others have done as far as anticipating the recovery part. I will need to wear a boot for a couple months and already have a hard time walking anyway!! I will not be able to use crutches nor drive during the recovery.

A bit of history - I've had some bad falls in the past which have had some affect on the tendons in my ankle. My last 2 falls were in Feb. I recently had an MRI which revealed a split tear peroneus brevis tendon - plus evidence of past tears to this area. They will repair the tendon and also scrap away some of the ankle bone.

I'm a little freaked out at this point!! Getting around is hard enough. Some have suggested I get a 2nd opinion, but the ankle issue has been going on for years now without any let up. I'm so tired of the ongoing pain which has now gotten to be acute!

Just wondering how others have done after surgery of any kind?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Hi Seasha,

I am sorry to hear you need surgery

I fractured my ankle several years ago. I have hardware on both sides of my left ankle (plate, screws and wire).

I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. I could not use crutches, in fact crutches are not recommended for someone with MS due to balance.

I used a walker and a wheelchair, the wheelchair being the most helpful. I used a boot for about a month.

A boot is odd feeling to me. Mine was a walking boot and rocked which gave me the feeling I was off balance and could fall (I never did fall while wearing the boot).

Honestly, the most difficult part was trying to regain my mobility. The longer you go without using muscles the more weak they become.

It took me 2 years to get back to where I was before the fracture.

Your situation is different than mine so hopefully your recovery will not be too difficult.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Seasha,

I'm so sorry to hear about this (plus your falls) and your ongoing pain. I think I would still get a second opinion, but I would imagine that you will receive the same answer, since the MRI revealed a tear. I suppose at this point, finding a reputable doctor whom you feel you can trust is more important than anything.

I understand your concern about wearing a boot for a few months. Not only will that hamper your ability to walk (even with a walker) you must be concerned about loosing strength during that time. I would ask your orthopedic surgeon to set up a backup plan of inpatient rehab after your surgery, just in case you need it, and definitely for home therapy once you come home. It's important to keep your other muscles strong while you're ankle is healing from surgery. Once the boot comes off, you'll most like need more PT to strengthen your ankle.

Twice, I had flares after surgeries, but then I've also NOT had any after surgeries. Another reason why I recommend having that backup plan of inpatient rehab set up beforehand.

I also recently fell and messed up both my ankles. Wondering if I've done more than just spraining them has been a scary thought for me. The need to stay off my feet for any extended period of time, quite frankly, freaks me out, too. Especially after working so hard to get back what I could, after breaking a bone a few years ago. I hope everyone who is a fall risk will do all they can to take precautions against falling.

Wishing you the very best, and after a brief hiatus from surgery and rehab, you will quickly recover and be pain free! Please keep us posted ...
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Ouch, I can't relate to ankle surgery but have had my fair share of surgeries over 10 and 6 being on my back. I was restricted from anything at all for 12 weeks but I really just did what I felt comfortable doing. I truly think alot of restrictions are put on post surgery for law suits against the Dr. so they got overly paranoid and made up over the top restrictions (this is just my own opinion).

Also, with my back when I am unable to walk I use my pretty pink walker to get around. I can sit on it and be pushed or use my feet to push. Maybe you could push with your good foot to get around.

Hopefully, when your all recovered you will be back to a better quality of life. Hang in there and best of luck during your recovery period post surgery.
        Tira

Comment

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I've had my share of broken feet and ankle injuries due to foot drop, but have never required surgery to repair them...and was able to use boots to help with mobility.

In my visits to doctor's offices, I have seen the coolest invention and most practical way to get around for those who "hurt" a leg/foot/ankle...yet can't use crutches, or have to be non weight bearing. It's called a "knee walker"...google it. I've asked several folks who used them how they work and have heard nothing but rave reviews.

As far as surgeries and MS recovery...I've had my share of surgeries and have never really had a relapse because of MS...slower time recuperating yes, but not a relapse.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Comment

I had surgery on my left foot a couple years ago. Used a knee scooter for a month and than a walking boot for another month. I lost a lot of my muscle tone in that leg. My walking has not returned to what it was before the surgery. The big thing would be to get any exercising in while your recuperating to try and maintain your leg strength.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. You've all given me some ideas and more understanding going forth. I know I'll need a knee walker as my walking is compromised anyway. I looked them up online and whoa! they are expensive. Maybe renting one is an option?

If I have the surgery in the next month or so, I'm looking at wearing the boot during the summer months and worry about it being too hot to wear.

To have a flare afterwards is not much of a risk. I'm SP and haven't had a flare in over 7 years. Then again, there's always that possibility? Guess after hearing from you all, the recovery is going to be longer than the 4 -6 weeks the ortho surgeon said.

I appreciate all your well wishes. And Kimba, I'll be thinking of you for your recovery too!

Please for anyone reading this, take extra special care in avoiding falls!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
              X