Language matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language matters

I see a lot of dated terms kicking around the site (e.g. "handicapped", "the disabled", etc. -- I used to use the terms too!). It may not seem important, but language matters especially in terms of people-first language. Example: I am a person with a disability NOT a disabled person. A subtle but important difference.

In addition to the thread here: http://msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132261 I found some additional resources.

Language is ever evolving and I learn so much from these resources and I wanted to share with you guys. Some food for thought.

Do the words used to describe you have an impact on your life? You bet! Contrary to the age-old "sticks and stones" lesson we learned as children, words do matter!

For too long, people who happen to have conditions we call "disabilities" have been subjected to devaluation, marginalization, prejudice, and more. And the first way to devalue someone is through language, by using words or labels to identify a person/group as "less-than," as "the others—not like us," and so forth. Once a person/group has been identified this way, it makes it easier to justify prejudice and discrimination. Our language shapes our attitudes; our attitudes shape our language; they're intertwined. And our attitudes and language drive our actions!

Using People First Language—putting the person before the disability—and eliminating old, prejudicial, and hurtful descriptors, can move us in a new direction. People First Language is not political correctness; instead, it demonstrates good manners, respect, the Golden Rule, and more—it can change the way we see a person, and it can change the way a person sees herself!
    Site: disabilityisnatural.com
    Full PDF: disabilityisnatural.com/images/PDF/pfl09.pdf

Examples of people-first language

People with disabilities
    instead of The handicapped or disabled

Paul has a cognitive disability (diagnosis)
    instead of He’s mentally retarded

Kate has autism (or a diagnosis of)
    instead of She’s autistic

Jose has Down syndrome (or a diagnosis of)
    instead of He’s Down’s; a Down’s person; mongoloid

Sara has a learning disability (diagnosis)
    instead of She’s learning disabled

Bob has a physical disability (diagnosis)
    instead of He’s a quadriplegic/is crippled

Maria uses a wheelchair/mobility chair
    instead of She’s confined to/is wheelchair bound

Tom has a mental health condition
    instead of He’s emotionally disturbed/mentally ill

Ryan receives special ed services
    instead of He’s in special ed; is a sped student/inclusion student

LaToya has a developmental delay
    instead of She’s developmentally delayed

Children without disabilities
    instead of Normal/healthy/typical kids

Communicates with her eyes/device/etc
    instead of Is non-verbal

People we serve/provide services to
    instead of Client, consumer, recipient, etc

Congenital disability
    instead of Birth defect

Brain injury
    instead of Brain damaged

Accessible parking, hotel room, etc
    instead of Handicapped parking, hotel room, etc

She needs or she uses
    instead of She has a problem with /She has special needs

You make some excellent points. When I post something, I am always trying to use proper english terms and phrases. But, I fail, sometimes.

Comment

Like anything it takes practical use to use updated terms and have it be second nature.

I also try and use updated terms as well but I am sure I don't always either!

Comment

Great points, misslux!

And some words are never OK. My pet peeve: invalid. If you put the emphasis on the middle syllable, it's the opposite of valid. How awful is that?
        PPMS
        Dx 07/13

Comment

Totally agree. Ever since i was dx i said I'm a person with a disability not a disabled person. This disease can help describe me, I will never let it define me.

When I was in high school I lost two friends to suicide. One did deal with bullying a lot but the term bullying seems so dismissive and discounting. He suffered torture from peers. I know this type of thing is even more common now too

Back then I no longer accepted the sticks and stones phrase because of this incident. I only accept it in a form I modified:

'Sticks and stones may break bones but words can be lethal.'

I know I'm putting this on a different type of thing but its how powerful I think words are regardless of any other factor.
          Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
          Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

I'm sorry about your friends. That is awful and you are right, the term "bullying" does not accurately describe what people go through.

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
              I am a person with a disability NOT a disabled person.
              EXACTLY... well said. Language does matter as do titles and labels. I hate the term/word 'disabled'. It is diminishing and puts a person into a 'less than whole' category. It also invalidates a person's wholeness.

In fact have you ever noticed that the word 'invalid'

verb

1. remove (someone) from active service in the armed forces because of injury or illness. "he was badly wounded and invalided out of the infantry")

is one in the same as 'invalid'

noun

1. a person made weak or disabled by illness or injury.
              "she spent the rest of her life as an invalid"

Hmm...coincidence or coincidence?
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this.

I'm dyslexia and diagnosised very young. I was teased often in school. I mad it and even graduated from college. In college i had profs that told me "people like you don't belong in college". I was told over 12 times that people with dyslexia should not be in college.
                Well they hadn't met me and my determination! It was a fight all the way for me. I had extended test time and procters. I knew my RIGHTS.

I call my dyslexia ...my uniqueness. I have this yes, BUT it is not me!
                Sending hugs your way.

Take Care.....

Comment

I am glad to see others interested in this.

lavender, that is awful. I am glad you pushed through!

Comment

Actually I feel like I've been transported back to the 1880s with this disease. The first time I heard the term spastic I asked for a repeat, I thought that word had such a negative connotation nobody would use it professionally (albeit for my leg and not my body). I see professionals writing for other professionals calling it the "dread" disease. And, some people alive who were dxed with a bathtub! It's like living in Victorian England.

Comment

Ha, I thought the same thing when I heard spastic and spasticity. I was like, "Say, what?"

Comment

Working...
                      X