Swollen fingers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swollen fingers?

I've had MS for 20+yrs. I've also been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. For the past year or so I've occasionally woken up with swollen fingers and very stiff hands. During the night my fingers sometimes contract up like claws and are very hard to straighten. I've taken to wearing compression gloves at night to relieve some of this. I've been checked for RA and was negative for this. My docs have given me no answers. Any wisdom out there?

I don't know about the swollen hands, but the stiffness is very much a part of MS. It is spasticity. You can ask your neurologist about the swollen hands part. Also ask them about the spasticity and see about a referral to PT to have them massage your hands and get them to straighten out so that they are not eventually stuck that way.

Best of luck. Let us know what your neurologists says. If he/she has no idea about the swelling, check with your GP.

Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I have been getting swollen fingers for the past 5 years. So bad I had to have my wedding rings cut off. Nobody can figure out why i swell and yes it's worse in the morning.
      Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

I have them too, I massage mine every morning before I get out of bed.

The swelling may be a side effect of some meds.

My wedding band is now so tight I am afraid I will need to cut it off as well. I surely can't under no circumstance pull it off in any way!!!!

I do suffer from spasticity so could be that. I also do have RA in my hands.

So who knows with this disease. Make sure the neuro knows and your PCP and in any case massage them yourself and keep them moving you don't want them stuck that way.

I also notice that at times when just sitting watching T.V. they will also ball up.

Good Luck!!!
        DIAGNOSED=2012
        ISSUES LONG BEFORE
        REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Working...
        X