Noise Sensitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise Sensitive

Ok...just wanted to know if anyone out there has issues with noise? Loud noises, teenage boys making weird loud noises, dishwasher running, washing machine or dryer going, vacuum, dishes clanging, chairs moving across floor, too many people talking at once...to name a few...These things send me into an anxiety frenzy where my breathing gets labored, I start to sweat and then the uncontrollable spasms of my muscles start and hand tremors where I have to remove myself from the area. It makes it very difficult to go out socially and exist and sometimes even within my own home...although my family is adapting to this for me thank God! It is weird too that when I am the one creating the "noise" it doesn't seem to be as bad AND I am able to get through being out at a movie (where you know how LOUD those can be) and adjust to it after it starts - maybe because that is my main focus (?), I don't know and don't get it. Just wondering if anyone else can relate to this one? My husband and boys said I should try the "earplug" route, I just feel like I won't be able to engage and don't look forward to me saying "what? what? what?" because I can't hear...such trials & tribulations right?

Hi cconnolly5,

What you are describing might be Hyperacusis (noise sensitivity). Please discuss your noise sensitivity with your Dr. for the correct answer.

Information about Hyperacusis:
    http://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/hyperacusis/
    http://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/AIS-Hyperacusis.pdf
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I experience the same thing, but it really comes and goes. My coworker was opening a FedEx package once and ripped the tape off the box. I almost fell out of my chair and had a sudden feeling of nausea. Then I felt weak and shaky for a while afterwards. At times like these I am usually bothered by light too. Some kind of sensory overload.
      Portia

Comment

Yes, I have this. The intensity comes and goes and I do keep earplugs in my purse so I always have them handy. Again, there have been times when it has been especially bad, and then it improves. My hope is that yours is temporary and that your life (and noise tolerance level) will be back to normal soon!

Comment

Thanks for posting and, I guess, it makes me feel better that I am not the only one out there who is experiencing this. Mine is 90% with me everyday...I adjusted to it by UGH not going out much socially or just retreating to a "quiet" place until I feel like I can have some composure. Just another one of those things!

Comment

It's important to have a quiet place. My husband feels a bit insulted when I leave the living room to go to my quiet room, but he watches television with the volume up kind of high. And he flips channels constantly, so it goes from political ranting to sci-fi to war movies to news to whatever. The volume and the types of 'noise' on each is different and the inconsistency really gets to me. He is coming to understand that i am not sick of his company.
            Portia

Comment

Originally posted by Portia View Post
              It's important to have a quiet place. My husband feels a bit insulted when I leave the living room to go to my quiet room, but he watches television with the volume up kind of high. And he flips channels constantly, so it goes from political ranting to sci-fi to war movies to news to whatever. The volume and the types of 'noise' on each is different and the inconsistency really gets to me. He is coming to understand that i am not sick of his company.
              We must be married to the same husband - lol. My husband's hearing is going downhill however. I got fed up and bought some extra small speakers that hook up to the TV. They are on the side table right next to where he sits. They have their own volume control and a headset, so he can watch all those LOUD shows and we can now live peaceable together! (I still have my own quiet room that I go to) You might think of shopping around for these kind of speakers.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I get the same feelings too but it comes goes also. It does feel like a sensory overload cause like someone else said I also get light sensitivity with it and also have to step out to calm down. Really sucks when youre out in public and this happens! Could it be that anxiety also plays a role?

Comment

I used to think the very concept of fainting goats was hilarious. I cannot imagine how fainting when subjected to loud noises could be an evolutionary adaptation to protect prey animals.
                  Roaring Lion: "ROAAAAARRRRR!"
                  Fainting goat: "Baaaah." (faints) THUD.

Wouldn't they be better served to run away instead?

Then I realized I am like a fainting goat every time my husband sneezes. It is as if he takes it a personal challenge to sneeze as loud as humanly possible or he is not a real man.

HUsband, "AWWWWCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBLAMPOWBANG!!!
                  Me: "aaaaigh! (heart attack)"

I've actually yelled at him before for it...I really can't understand why it is necessary to bellow like a foghorn when you sneeze. One of these days I envision being sneezed at and fainting like one of those goats. It would serve him right.

Comment

Working...
                  X