Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probaby paranoid job discrimination q but quick q...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probaby paranoid job discrimination q but quick q...

Does a health insurance company tell a job you get anything that you're on (meds, etc)? Can the employer figure anything out that you are expensive for their health insurance? Is there any way for the job to know indirectly at all? I'm up for a teaching job at a mid-sized college. If I get it I'll get health insurance and will have to get the paperwork done for Tec. I'm on some assistance programs for health care and meds right now.

Also, I happen to have a hearing loss too. Should I get the job first before asking for accommodations?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

It's illegal for the insurer to disclose info about your claims, dx, or anything about you medically.

Discussions about what kinds of medical procedures and RXs are costing the plan are usually part of the insurance contract renewal negotiations, but identifying a particular employee is prohibited.

There's always a possibility that an employer can figure out who's responsible when there's a sudden increase in claims that coincides with a new hire. But for a mid sized college, thinking 300? employees, the increase in cost for your meds may be hard to spot initially.

There is an annual claims review process at the one year anniversiary of the insurance contract. Cost of rx meds increasing over many months, probably not too hard to detect.

The insurer and employer can discuss the cost, even the type of med associated with the cost increase as part of contract negotiations, but employee names wouldn't be disclosed.

If I were in your position I would postpone making a request for accomodations, it at all possible, at least until a later time.

Congrats on landing the new job and best of luck.

Comment

Thanks for this. I don't have job yet, but am interviewing soon! I thought I head read something somewhere on an old thread on this board (can't seem to find it) that someone didn't get a job or keep a job b/c the employer somehow knew the person was costing lots of money. It was probably an indirect way, but that was still shocking to read.

I mean, now with the made illegal rejection due to pre-existing conditions, that is totally solid now right? I can't get rejected by filling out initial paperwork that says I have MS. And that paperwork, only the insurance company sees it - it never goes through the job?

I'm thinking this place has way more than 300 so maybe it really won't be obvious. Makes me nervous though the job can even find out the type of drug! Like (and I wouldn't) if one had a blog by their real name about MS and that drug, I mean, someone could totally find out!

Obviously a little too paranoid, but still. I have rarely had health ins. and really don't want to mess this up in any unintentional ways.

If anyone has any other experiences or things to share please do. I can understand a 5 person outfit figuring out the "expensive' person - and illegally firing that person but saying it was for some other reason. That's my nightmare.

Comment

There are individuals who believe it's deceptive to whithhold a MS dx during a job interview, or if already an employee when dx'd, feel obligated to disclose.

Once information about a MS dx is shared with a co-worker, HR, a supervisor, etc., regarless of the naive reason for doing so, it's often not very long before job security is jeopardized. It's easy to figure who represents the high cost when an employee with MS volenturees info about the dx.

Good idea to be prepared, and best of luck to you

Comment

One other thought. They won't know for sure if it is a new employee. It could be an existing employee starting a new med.

Once you have a written offer, if you do need an accomodation to perfir successfully, I would ask for it. If your hearing loss would prevent you from getting thru any probationary period, better to ask.

As for MS, I wouldn't disclose. Even if you need additional accommodations later, you can ask without disclosing it is caused by MS.

Good luck. I hope it come thru for you.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

pennstater, good point about the speculative nature of assuming that a MS dx=high medical and Rx claims. Particularly unfortunate for MSrs assumed to be responsible for high claims, when not all MS are on DMTs and for those who don't see a neuro or have MRIs, etc., on a regular basis.

No need to disclose info of any kind that could influence perceptions about you, your work performance or attendance.

Comment

I agree about not disclosing to your team if unnecessary however I wouldn't advise anyone who is going to be getting health insurance from their company to withhold the information when asked during pre-employment physicals.

FWIW I don't ever schedule my pre-employment physical until I have my offer letter in writing. Good luck!
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Pre employ physical????

I've never heard of that. Even for teaching jobs at prof level in humanities? I appreciate your mentioning that. If for some reason it's required ??? I will wait until I have solid offer in writing.

And you think you shouldn't withhold the MS ? I was pretty committed to not disclosing whatsoever. I have hardly told anyone as my field is small and don't want ppl to think - who might know me on a committee - oh i don't think she can hold out, you know?

any other info on this pre-employ physical thing is welcome. i can understand for jobs like police, firefighter, bus drivers, you know more physical type jobs but if anyone has any other "things" i should be aware of navigating this, i'm all ears. thank you so much everyone. stuff i really didn't think about.

and thanks for the advice that i should ask for hearing accommodations until after hired, but before probation period so i don't mess up too much on job. i thought of waiting longer but you have a good point there.

Comment

Pre employment testing is, for the most part limited to anything related to job performance.

Typist undergo timed typing test, airline pilots would need to be in outstanding mental and physical health, therefore would undergo a complete medical exam, background checks, etc. Drug screening for durg abuse, etc. have become routine in the work place.

But a medical examination unrelated to physical demands of a job aren't allowed since ADA? Employer's can't discriminate in hiring or employment practices against those with a disability. Relax and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X