MS has been my entire life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS has been my entire life

Hello to everyone my name is April I'm 39 years old with rims. I was diagnosed definitively in 2004. This disease has been a part of my entire life. My mother also had ms. I have no memories of her walking. She was diagnosed in the late 60's when she was 16 years old. She did fairly well until after she had me the disease progressed rapidly(not saying pregnancy caused this). When I was 6 years old she had to be put in a nursing home. I would get to go visit her maybe twice a month. She would always talk about all the things we would do when she got better. She always had hope for a cure. She was so brave and fought the disease until the end. The day before her 41st birthday she passed away from complications of ms. I was 13 years old. I pray to god I will see a cure for this disease in my lifetime. I don't want my children or anyone else to ever have to hear the words "I'm sorry but you have ms" I'm so thankful for you all and all of the support you give. It helps so much to share with others who understand, because we are all in this together and share a common goal. To find a cure and see an end to Multiple Sclerosis!!!

Hi April. My name is Jerry and I was dx'd with PPMS in 2009. I think you are a brave girl with a good attitude. Although I haven't had a loss like yours in my family, i have lost 2 friends ( classmates, really) due to complications from having this nasty disease. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I feel the same about MS, as you. Keep on believing therewill be a cure, soon. Good luck

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that MS has had such a stranglehold on your life. There are a few others here with similar experiences.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses. You don't know how much your support means to me. I'm so glad I found this site. I've desperately needed someone to talk to who understands what I'm going through for a long time. I would also like to help and be there for others. I will be praying for you both, and Jerry I'm so sorry for your losses. Thank you both again so much.

Comment

Dear April,

Your post is as eloquent as it is touching. Would you mind if I pass your testimony on to some MS researchers who occasionally need encouragement? Until angels kiss away all our sorrows may the tragedy of this human suffering be made better by the application of scientific discovery. Thank you, April for perfectly clarifying why research is worth pursuing.

Myoak

Comment

Myoak thank you for your kind words. You may absolutely pass this on. Hope is all we have and with the support from others like you it helps me to not give up hope. God bless you, you don't know how much your words mean to me

Comment

Thanks April,

I will pass it on because it is inspirational. You furnish motivation for researchers to succeed because you provide a fresh realization of how important their work is. You make people want to succeed. You motivate researchers to persist when hours are long and difficult.

May I ask how you are doing with the MS? Are you taking one of the FDA approved meds? What are you involved with treatment-wise?

You have really touched my heart and the hearts of so many on this site. What a blessing that you are here. We are all learning together. Welcome.

Comment

Oh death where is thy sting, oh grave thy victory...We've got two choices, persevere or throw in the towel.
                I don't believe God ( The Lord my Lord is a vengeful Lord) is to blame for this, or that I am so important as to warrant His interest. But that's cool.
                If there is a Heaven, I think I 'll have a shot, if there's not, then I 'll never know.

We are all going die, may the passing be easy or hard.

There you go, that was cheerful. Not.

Comment

Originally posted by April6299 View Post
                  Hello to everyone my name is April I'm 39 years old with rims. I was diagnosed definitively in 2004. This disease has been a part of my entire life. My mother also had ms. I have no memories of her walking. She was diagnosed in the late 60's when she was 16 years old. She did fairly well until after she had me the disease progressed rapidly(not saying pregnancy caused this). When I was 6 years old she had to be put in a nursing home. I would get to go visit her maybe twice a month. She would always talk about all the things we would do when she got better. She always had hope for a cure. She was so brave and fought the disease until the end. The day before her 41st birthday she passed away from complications of ms. I was 13 years old. I pray to god I will see a cure for this disease in my lifetime. I don't want my children or anyone else to ever have to hear the words "I'm sorry but you have ms" I'm so thankful for you all and all of the support you give. It helps so much to share with others who understand, because we are all in this together and share a common goal. To find a cure and see an end to Multiple Sclerosis!!!
                  April,

I don't know what to say -- except I read this the same day you posted and haven't been able to get you out of my thoughts.

I pray for you and hope you stay RRMS many, many years. Are you currently on any DMTs? So much more is available now compared to when your mom was dx'd.

Be well and know many are thinking of you

Bree

Comment

April,
                    I am so sorry to hear about the hand you've been dealt. You sound like a very strong and courageous woman. I'm the total opposite in that no one else in my large family has had MS at all. I was diagnosed in 2004 as well with RRMS. I am also interested to hear how you've been doing, how you're feeling, and whether you're taking any meds.
                    RRMS diagnosed 8/2004, no meds

Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is, and there's got to be a way through it. ~ Michael J. Fox

Comment

Working...
                    X