No announcement yet.

Possible new job, ins, Tec, employer, pre-exist condition, obamacare, privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nabbosa, thanks for a very thorough post for OrangeMetal and others applying in the academic field, and those like myself who don't have much insight about the application process in a academic/university setting.

I particularly like the advice here: 'You want to be sure you are putting your best foot forward in the interview. Especially with hearing issues, you'd rather be seen as having a disability that can be accommodated than being seen as someone who is slow or inattentive.'

'most people you will speak with are afraid of the ADA because they don't know what's actually in it. They are afraid of doing something illegal, so they will bend over backward to be kind, or avoid the topic, or whatever.'

In the private sector, that may not always be the case. I think because often they're oblivious and 'don't know what they don't know'. Just because it's illegal it doesn't always benefit the applicant in an enviorment that's unwelcoming, or in a right to work state.

OrangeMetal, wishing you the very best of luck.

Comment

I really appreciate the long advice two posts ago. Thank you. I must have done ok with the phone as I am a finalist and very soon will have the campus visit. I did ask for the cart accommodations for real time captioning with the program secretary who was the key person I'd been in touch with and he contacted the disability office and it didn't seem like it was a big deal. They got cart for the teaching of a class, my talk/q&a and the committee interview. I'm meeting one on one with the two other people and didn't request cart as it was one on one. This school seems to be very accommodating and it looks like I can probably ask for cart for my classes, but I should wait until after contract, signed right?

If anyone has further advice for me with the campus visit I'd really appreciate it. My ms seems benign right now and only was dx'ed last may.

But even though they all know I have a hearing loss, should I still wait until I've signed the contract to ask for cart for my classes (if I get the job?)

Also, anyone here have negotiation experience? Academic job sites say you should always ask for 10% more. I am not in a 'research' institution but a college with nearly 5000 students and over 1500 employees. Is that a small or medium size liberal arts college?

Any other advice would be appreciated, like when meeting with the dean and head and how to present myself to them. I have dinner at the end of the day with them too, and hope I can figure out ways to communicate ok in loud environments.

Comment

Working...
      X