Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had a Sleep deprived EEG, how do stay up

Don't know if I posted in the right place

Has anyone had this test? How do stay up all night? I get up Thursday morning and no sleep until 3pm the next day. I have a major problem with sleeping too. I sleep around 16-18 hours a day. If I try to tell myself to stay awake and try sitting up and doing things, no problem, I'll sleep sitting up lol. Any ideas are appreciated

My sleep deprived EEG involved checking into the EEG center in the evening, getting the cap/leads applied to my scalp. Techs explained that the throughout the evening I would be woken up if I did fall asleep during first part of the study. Later part of the study I could sleep and be woken up through the later part of the study.

Very OT but kinda funny in a pathetic medical practice sort of way:

My test was ordered with a waiting period of approx. 2-3 weeks for my appointment. I got a call the day before my appointment to notify me that the center was undergoing a renovation/upgrade and I would have to reschedule at a later time.

I was so surprised by the call and the cavalier dismisal. When I questioned about rescheduling now for an appointment after they reopened after the up-grade, I was told I would have to wait until the back-log of appointments due to the renovation was cleared up before they could schedule my appointment.

After the re-opening, I got a call that there was an appointment cancellation they could offer me the next day. I had a bronchical infection, coughing all night, so I asked if that would affect the results. The receptionist said I could take the appointment or book an appointment 2 months later. I took the appointment, coughed throughout the test. The results were inconclusive due to not sufficient sleep time to be evaluated properly.

I had the 'crazy lady' stamp in my medical file at the time the test was ordered, and I believe everything related to schedueling, renovation, rescheduling, etc. was based on my crazy lady status.

Not that any of this should concern you. Even those who happen to have the Crazy Lady stamp are treated with more respect these days.

Comment

I had one, years ago, and I stayed home during the night and reported to the neuro office when they opened.

If I remember correctly, I asked a family member, maybe two, to stay over and we watched old movies. I think they took shifts to make sure I stayed awake. Sort of an adult slumber party.

Why don't you get to go to sleep till 3? Is your test in the afternoon, or do you have to go to work? I left the test and went home and slept for a few hours but not too much because I wanted to be able to go back to sleep at the regular time that night.

Crunchy snacks are supposed to keep you awake...I think I was allowed caffeine up until midnight, so I loaded up on it. I know you can eat before the test, in fact I think you have to eat within a certain time range before the test, but don't eat sweet stuff, it'll just make you sleepier.

Worst part of any EEG is the hair gunk, and dealing with the sticky hair spots until you can wash it.

Do they suspect you're having seizure activity? I had mine because even though I was diagnosed, I was having unusual arm movements in the night, and my neuro thought it might be seizures, but it wasn't.

Good luck with the test.

Comment

I have the crazy lady stamp but I think at least with my primary care doc, he is starting to believe me.

The only appointment they had was at 3 PM. It sucks too cuz my doc is 1 1/2 hours away. I'm still searching for someone to drive me, one because I'll likely pass out, second because well, he told me to stop driving period. I live in a very rural area and the people closest to me don't drive so I don't know what to do. I don't want to be irresponsible but I would like to go grocery shopping cuz I would like to eat lol. I'm not eligible for care takers or any driving services cuz I'm not "disabled" yet. Such a joke, so if social security says your fine you can't get any help. It's ridiculous

Comment

I have not, but wanted to wish you good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the support!!!

Comment

triggers

If you have any idea what triggers seizures in you, I would suggest that you do those things.

My son had it done. Another boy was there and having it done at the same time. It was a two bed neuro ICU. This boys trigger was challenging school work. So, we tagged team and the other mom watched my son. And, I challenged her son with math, an area that I loved and he hated.

My son had no triggers, so we just stayed awake one night doing games and playing. We were fortunate that the nurse played some games with us, because, I who has MS had a hard time staying awake.
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Jrasted79, I forgot that years before my sleep deprived EEG, I had an EEG with stobe/flickering lights that was abnormal, positive for epilepsy.

My doc was one in a million, gave me his phone number to call anytime I was sympamatic, with his office staff on call for patients to be tested while they were experiencing an episode. I was tested at 'that time of the month' when I seemed prone to seizure activity, (not unusual, women with a variety of types of epilepsy are more likely to report seizure activity during that time of the month).

I assumed that my sx's for the next +10yrs were Catamenial Epilepsy, (dx fell out of favor sometime after my dx, because of, well ovaries, monthly periods, etc.). I chose not to use meds to treat my epliepsy because shortly after dx's seizure activity was very occassional.

MS presenting with seizures occures in 2%-5% of patients, considered rare, but I suspect that may be a 'marginalized' stat.

Here's a link with some info about Photosensivity type EEG's and induced seizures associated with the test? condition? if it is of any help to you:

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/ab...vity/gerba.cfm

Comment

I have never had a seizure that I know of. I was talking with a close friend of mine who has seen a lot of my symptoms act up. What happens often is I stare, kinda drift off into space and then get really disoriented and confused. He had a lightbulb moment I guess and realized that I may be having seizures because that's how his seizures present.

Anyone else know of seizures like that

Comment

A Jocelyn I think either Angel or April might be able to take you down to la quinta for you test and yes I think you are having them but I was also thinking maybe you might have sleep apnea as well. Let me know if you want a ride down to do your test. My sister Ronda has seizures were she goes into a trans like state I just don't know what they are called talk about it tomorrow when you get up good night and I hope you are better than me and hope you are ok

Comment

Working...
                    X