Newley diagnosed help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newley diagnosed help!!

I was diagnosed in Feb. 2014. Started having symptoms last year with blurred vision and severe headaches. When I took my MRI's the same day I received a call from my neurologist office stating that they wanted to see me the next day. The next day came. I waited in the waiting room for an hour just to hear the doctor tell me that I have MS. He didn't explain to me anything, just gave me a bunch of books and said that he will see me next month to discuss why you have it and to show me the MRI and to discuss medication. UGH I need help. I don't even know if I shuld take the medication since all medication gives you side effects. Would I be better of just not using it. I feel fine most of time. Just need some input pls

Please check out the UK ms site- it has a user friendly link to all the meds that include the pros and cons and videos of real people using them. A lot of the damage happens early in the disease- in the grey matter, so please consider intervention. Please read about Drs. Terry Whals, George Jelinek and Roy Swank. If you´re into research, medical news today has an ms thread.

Focus on your breath- it will calm you down when you get ramped up with anxiety. Find out if your employer has an insurance advocate for employees to help you navigate the MRIs and meds.

Comment

Sorry you got the "diagnose and dash" from the neurologist! I had the same thing happen to me when I was diagnosed a few years ago, and it is awful! I complained to the clinic director and it got noticed and staff behavior changed.

I recommend explaining how being left with an armload of books/papers and no guidance after receiving a life-altering dx is awful patient care.

For medication, personally I will do just about anything in hope to slow down the MS...I did Copaxone shots for two years, I now take Tecfidera. There are side effects, but they are worth it to cut relapses by 50% (Tecfidera)...and less relapses = less acute damage.

It is very overwhelming at first, but you will get through this Lots of good info on this site.
      RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Thank you guys so much. I will definitely look into some kinda treatment. And yes the doctor should of told me more and not just give me books, but i will do my own research on this.

Comment

Welcome keylag! Your dx sounds like mine many years ago. I got the word in less than 48 hours, but my neuro didn't even give me books. He spent about 10 min. with me and scheduled a 5 day steroid iv infusion. I was so in the dark about everything!

The good news is that you have come here (I didn't even know about MSWorld) and we will try to help with any questions you may have. There are many knowledgeable and friendly people here willing to share their experiences!

As far as medication goes, that is entirely a personal matter! Some work well for others and for others not so. Sometimes it requires a trial with one before going on to one that works for you. Then again, there are people who used alternative therapies. It can be confusing deciding what is best for you.

Here is a link from the NMSS that outlines the medications used today http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...MS/Medications

Whatever you decide, I hope your journey is smooth sailing!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you!! The site is very helpful.

Comment

Welcome key lag!

I'm sorry your diagnosis was given to you in such a rushed manner. I got diagnosed last year, and so I remember the shock that accompanies a diagnosis.

It does feel so overwhelming when you are first diagnosed. So many questions, so many decisions to make about what treatments to follow.

And then there is the process of telling friends and relatives and all that goes along with that.

It's hard. You are in the hardest part right now. But you can do this!

You have probably had this disease for awhile now. And you have been all alone until now.

But now you have doctors on your side to help you, loved ones who want to help, and all of us here who really understand and want to help too. Now you aren't alone with this disease anymore!

Comment

You are your best advocate. Educate yourself about the disease, and possible treatments.

I was also given the news along with books to read, but I must say, going on 4 years, my Neuro has been excellent, and once he knew I did my homework, he advises, but lets me call the shots.

You live with this 24/7, and nobody knows it better. Everyone is different.

Good luck.

Comment

I am a child of a ms mom. She tired everything under the sun and the one thing she told me that she regretted stopping was the shots. Not sure if that will help.

Also, there is a new ms drug out that you might want to look into. It is called Gilenya. Be very careful with what doctors prescribe. We learned the hard way when at one time they had my mom on over 20 medications. Do your research on each drug that you get. Always go to the manufacture of the drugs website to read about it.

Currently my mom is one only a few. She has always been on baclofen from the very start. She knows has a baclofen pump cause she was having troubles remembering if she took and also because of her high dosage.

Hang in there! It's a hard battle but just keep fighting!

Comment

Working...
                  X