No announcement yet.

Terrified of the idea of physical therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the reassurances...decided to give it a try.

Maybe it will be helpful. It would be nice if I could walk better. I have had semi-numb feet and legs ever since the transverse myelitis and I think it has really affected my balance.

I absolutely do see doctors as my enemy. I went through thirteen years of doctors telling me it was all in my head, get out of my exam room, etc.

At this point I have a seething, visceral hatred of doctors and I don't expect my feelings will ever change. I want as little contact with them as possible and I don't believe any of them care about me one way or another, at all. I think they see me as a paycheck and nothing else.

Well, anyway, I will call my doctor today and let her know I will agree to the physical therapy. Can't hurt, might help, why not.

Comment

P.S. I really do appreciate everyone who posted or even read

My post, even without posting. I'm grateful for the time you've taken with me and I felt much better about trying physical therapy after reading your replies.

I'm very grateful for all of you, and for this board.

Comment

I have also had only positive experiences with PT. a good one will listen to you and work with you at your pace. for us it is NOT the no pain no gain theory you call the shots they just give you the exercises best for you.
        Good luck and let us know how it goes.
        Laurie

Comment

As far as the length of physical therapy you will have is mostly dependent on the number of visits your insurance will cover (at least in my experience) in a calendar year. The only times I had extra visits with pt was because I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery and other surgeries on my arm.

The physical therapist will do an evaluation on you before they start you on a regime of exercise. It has been my experience that they will also give you print outs of the exercises for you to do at home.

Comment

Thank you all so much!

I will check back in after I've begun physical therapy and let everyone know how it went.

Comment

Yay! So glad you're going to give it a try! And please do check back
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

This is a funny post for me because I've been enduring 3 years of my son in PT school. He has been a real drill Sargent. I was never that kind of mother so it's strange to see him like that. He wanted to practice on me so I would go along with his routines. I always used to love exercise but now when I look at the weights he gave me I cringe.

There are PTs that are sensitive. Maybe you will get one. Good luck.

Comment

My PT experience has been great. He has given me home exercises that have helped a lot. I just wish I was able to go more!

Sara

Comment

I've gone to to a couple different PTs. The first one was like a regular routine each time I went. I didn't really get to much out of it. They supposedly specialized in MS.

During my pump trial the Dr said she wanted me to start PT with their group. One of the first thing the PT told me was I had week hip flexers, and said we would start working on strengthening them. It was always on my own pace. After getting my pump last March I'd say I've seen her about 50 times they had to ask for more visits from the insurance co. I had some Botox injections in there as well to help get the extra visits.

Comment

Thank you all so much! I apologize for posting when I was

Having a bout of the blues. I'm feeling better now. I'm on Prozac and seeing a psychiatrist regularly but these mood swings seem to come on in spite of the support and medicine and I'm a big pain in the neck when they hit.

I'm feeling better now and have a better attitude now.

One thing I realized after reflection is that I'm terrified the doctor will yell at me if my balance and gait don't get better. I don't want to be yelled at by doctors anymore, I've had enough of that, the past decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by MSLorrie View Post
                        One thing I realized after reflection is that I'm terrified the doctor will yell at me if my balance and gait don't get better. I don't want to be yelled at by doctors anymore, I've had enough of that, the past decade or so.
                        Lorrie - I'm appalled that your doctor would yell at you if your gait or balance is off or doesn't get better. Or is this something you fear might happen?

You are not to blame for the problems you are having!! It is caused by the disease and has nothing to do with YOU. If your doctor treats you like a drill sargeant, maybe it's time to shop around for someone who is more compassionate and knowledgeable about this disease?

Sorry, but this upsets me.

I hope all goes well with your PT. Hang in there
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It's something that happened to me in the past with the military

Docs and I'm scared the new civilian doc I have now will treat me the same way.

Comment

Hi Lorrie,

I agree with Seasha! No doctor should ever yell at you over something which you have no control. It makes sense now that you say it was the Army docs that yelled at you. I suppose they've seen patients who make up symptoms just to get out of whatever, still doesn't make it right, but there's an entirely different mentality going on there. I'm sorry you had this experience. It's unacceptable to be treated this way, and please find a different doctor if you are ever treated this way again.

All the PT's I've ever met have been kind and compassionate, although some were better than others for treatment. You do want to correct any balance or gait issues to the best of your ability asap, in order to avoid injuring your body. Walking incorrectly puts added stress on different areas of your body, and any balance issues will make you a fall risk. I welcome the opportunity for PT whenever I get the opportunity, as it has always been beneficial to me. The only thing I would suggest is to seek out a neuro PT. http://
                            http://www.neuropt.org/consumer-info...ical-therapist

Best of luck to you.
                            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Physical therapy isn't punishment--it's an opportunity to improve physical function and to learn techniques that you can use on your own in the future. Your personal exercise routine is already what some of us would call grueling, so you already have a strong commitment to high physical performance--at least as high as MS will allow.

PT is short term, but if you go into it with an attitude of learning, the effects of it can benefit you the rest of your life. Physical therapists are physical teachers--not drill sergeants. I've been to PT several times, and sessions have never been more than an hour at a time, two to three times a week.

If you call two or three physical therapy clinics and ask to be given a tour of their facility, you'll be able to see what they do and ask questions about what they'd have you doing to address the problems your doc is concerned about. They can show you the equipment, introduce you to some of their therapists, and you'll likely see people who are there for appointments and working the program. And you'll pick up on the "vibe" of the place--by visiting a few of them, you'll know which one suits you best.

Your doc didn't make the PT recommendation because he/she thinks you're not working hard enough on your own. It was made because training--not torture--in new techniques can augment what you're already doing to take care of your physical health.

Some PTs are better than others, but here's the thing--they're not the ones in charge of who you see for physical therapy--you are. It's not a case like the military (where US ARMY stands for Uncle Sam Ain't Realeased Me Yet) where you gotta do what you gotta do. If you feel belittled after a couple of sessions with one therapist, then insist on seeing somebody else, and tell the facility director why you need to make the change.

You're already willing to push yourself physically. If somebody can teach you new things about how your body works and show you how to channel that drive into being stronger, better, healthier--wouldn't that be a good thing?
                              Peg

Comment

Working...
                              X