Root Canals and Ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root Canals and Ms

Has anyone had a root canal and have their symptoms act up? I had a root canal today. It went pretty good. I had no pain, but all of a sudden, I am dealing with head tremors. I'm not stressed or anything.
    "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer
    than you."
    ~ Dr. Seuss

Wow sorry about that! No, have not had such a reaction, but I wonder if you have local anesthetic? And don't forget that there are so many nerves in our faces/teeth and they are literally removing the NERVE!!

So I would think there definitely could be a relationship.

Hope it dissipates soon.

Let us know,

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I had a root canal recently and nothing acted up except my TN, but I was expecting that.

Comment

I have...

I have problems with dental procedures in general. After a root canal, cleanings and fillings I've had spasms. Just smiling can make my lips/face quiver so going to the dentist can really set the shaking off. Baclofen helps me with my spasms/spasticity.

It seems when it comes to me and dental procedures its one thing after another. The dentist always uses a mouth block to help me keep my mouth open because I have problems holding my mouth open for very long (and also the shaking starts).

I'm so glad they came up with fluoride that doesn't have to be gargled. I can't gargle without choking, spitting it all over or swallowing half of it.

I also have a problem with not getting numb. When I would tell them I was able to feel them working, different dentists would comment that it wasn't possible because they've never used that much numbing medicine on anyone before and that my mouth should be numb for days.

I am very thankful I've found my dentist I use now. She and her staff understand how MS can affect dental issues and do what they can to make it all easier. It's good not to be scared of the dentist anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope View Post
          I have problems with dental procedures in general. After a root canal, cleanings and fillings I've had spasms. Just smiling can make my lips/face quiver so going to the dentist can really set the shaking off. Baclofen helps me with my spasms/spasticity.

It seems when it comes to me and dental procedures its one thing after another. The dentist always uses a mouth block to help me keep my mouth open because I have problems holding my mouth open for very long (and also the shaking starts).

I'm so glad they came up with fluoride that doesn't have to be gargled. I can't gargle without choking, spitting it all over or swallowing half of it.

I also have a problem with not getting numb. When I would tell them I was able to feel them working, different dentists would comment that it wasn't possible because they've never used that much numbing medicine on anyone before and that my mouth should be numb for days.

I am very thankful I've found my dentist I use now. She and her staff understand how MS can affect dental issues and do what they can to make it all easier. It's good not to be scared of the dentist anymore.
          Wow, sorry for that dentist not believing you! Last time I was @ dentist I thought by the time he returned to start drilling (he was seeing a lot of other patients) I swore it partially wore off. Turned out I probably didn't need it numbed, but it make me wonder.

I would suggest you go to dentists trained now in other methods of anesthetizing as more are using laughing gas, versed, fentanyl things used for other kinds of procedures, like colonoscopies.
          Now you would not be able to drive..but still.. you want to NOT feel right?? That's the point!

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Jan has a good point about the anesthetic. Most numbing shots (xylocaine, etc.) have some epinephrine in them too, which can give you tremors, racing heart, etc. However, I would think those effects would temporary.

But if you had to keep your mouth open for a long time (which I imagine you did) or had to hold your head in a certain direction for the root canal (i.e. tilted to the left or right) you may be experiencing muscle fatigue in your head and neck, thus the tremors.

Then there's the issue of infection, root canals are done because the nerve has "died" and this can lead to infection or abcess, and infection can exacerbate MS symptoms. But I doubt this theory because if infection were the case, you would have had the symptoms before the procedure as well...and your tremors didn't start up until after the procedure.

I have spasms on one side of my face, and even after a dental cleaning, my facial/tongue issues are more troublesome than usual. It takes a couple days for things to simmer down from me having to keep my mouth open, turn my head a certain way, etc. So I'd think muscle fatigue might be the most likely culprit.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. The tremors have stopped, but I'm dragging my left foot. My tooth does hurt a bit, but it could be alot worse. In time, it will get better. My dentist told me if anything happens, to give him a call.
              "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer
              than you."
              ~ Dr. Seuss

Comment

I used to work for dentists and also had a root canal. Of course I got the initial post root canal infection when the dental office was closed.

Turns out, yes they remove the nerve but stir up germs and can sometimes end up in an infection. You can have an infection sore through out your body in a hurry too.

You need to see a dentist ASAP if it continues to hurt (it shouldn't) outside of general soreness from holding your mouth open. At least call them and ask. They will put you on an antibiotic and wait till that is over to see you again.

Again, I would seek out dentist certified in using alternative anesthesia methods along with local anes.

Good luck hon, Jan
                I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I tend to believe that any kind of "stress" can trigger MS symptoms, or, for me, even major MS flares. Not just "emotional stress", but, stress on the body (such as illness, dental procedures, pain, surgery, etc), and even "good stress", such as anticipating a happy event.

My first MS symptom came on with a bang. I was sick for two days with what I thought was a weird bug. Really fatigued, dizzy, etc.

And, at the same time, I was awaiting a root canal appointment and was in a lot of dental pain. I suspect that was the "final straw" trigger for my MS to begin. I ended up in the ER with stroke-like symptoms and off work for many months as I recuperated.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I had my first flare after a root canal. I remember feeling so sick after that I vomited on the way home. I was spinning like crazy. I really don't know how I drove. I went to bed for almost 2 days. Got up felt better and it all started again. I had such vertigo...I had had some weird symptoms for awhile and had appointment set up with a neuro, but this happened before seeing him. Long story short and many tests but was diagnosed with RRMS. I have never been that sick in my life.
                    I think that the person who commented about stress has a point.stress isn't always emotional it can be physical as well. All these contribute.

Comment

When you leave the dentist's office after having a root canal, the most serious after-effect you're likely to experience is some pain and sensitivity. Your dentist had given you anesthetic to keep your tooth numb for several hours after the procedure. And now may be the effect of that anesthetic is wearing off, and that's why you are having head tremors.

Comment

Anyone have problems with infections after? Being most dmd's alter/lower our immune systems. It seems like that could be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X