Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does an "episode" last

Hi all,

I'm in limbo. Had an MRI showing lesions, had a lumbar puncture on Monday and waiting for the results. PCP seems convinced its MS, I have an appointment in two weeks (ugh) with a neuro.
    I've been having dizziness, numbness in my face, left arm, left leg and both feet, and a headache. This has been going on for 4 weeks now. If this is truly MS how long will this episode last, I don't know how much more of the dizziness I can take. PCP prescribed meclizine which does nothing but add to my fatigue.

Oh sorry everyone, I think I meant to put this under symptoms. I am still getting to know the forum.

Comment

It's sort of a tricky question to answer.

Rather than be concerned with how long the actual relapse lasts (that is quite variable and there isn't much to be done about it other than treatments like IVSM, oral steroids or Acthar to speed through the inflammation), ask how long the symptoms can last. The two don't always match up.

The symptoms you acquire from a relapse can be as quick as a few days, go on for weeks, months, even years or never go away. Many are left with some residual deficits from a relapse. Those may be a drastically improved version of the symptoms as they began during the relapse, so that they're almost gone or there may be no improvement at all.

Some symptoms can be dealt with using drugs, some with exercise or therapy. If the drug your dr has tried isn't helping, try another. It's crucial to communicate with your dr. Let them know you still need help. Hopefully, the neuro will be able to better treat symptomatically. You may be in for some more testing, you may not, but either way s/he should be able to help.

Good luck!

Comment

Hang in there Jbero.

Are you able to see the neuro early if he would have a cancellation? If so, call and tell them you can come in if they have a cancellation and will contact you.

Sounds as though you may be having a flare-up and a neuro will be able to help you right away, IMO.

In this time before your appointment be sure to get proper rest. Reduce fatigue and stress as much as possible. Things will get better. The human body is amazing and right now your body is doing “work arounds” to cope with these neurological conditions. Your body has capabilities of repair which are nowhere near exhausted.

I believe you will get better and your neuro will be a big help.

Eat well, be sure you exceed the RDA of Vitamin D; MSers are often low in that particular vitamin.

I’m praying for you; for comfort and for healing. I believe the dizziness will stop and you will get better very soon. Be encouraged.

Comment

Sorry for all you are going through. I would have your primary and even you call this Neuro and tell them about your numbness and how long it has lasted. I always thought that warranted an ER visit with IV steroids.

Or..go to ER with good neuro dept on staff and ask them?

Good luck with this process and know you are not alone. Soon you'll have answers and treatment.

Warmly, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
          X