Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Patrick's Day parade - cannot stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St. Patrick's Day parade - cannot stand?

Ah today I'm feeling pretty low because it was the first year I had to say 'no, I can't go to the parade' in my hometown, with my little son and husband.

I knew I could but that if I did I would be way too tired tomorrow.

I had a very bad chest infection in the last month, and a mildish MS relapse in the last 6 weeks (more fatigue, pain, spasticity in ribs/shoulders, dizziness, headaches, could not think of last words in sentences), but I'm recovering slowly from both of those.

The thing is I can walk and stand, but my energy is very transient at the moment; I have to conserve the very little I have.

What do you do for seating at events like this, when you're not a wheelchair user, and are mostly mobile?
    What recommendations do you have for a very lightweight product for seating?

Ho hum. Trying not to think this is the beginning of the grand decline; 16+ years in.

Maybe you could get one of those walking canes that unfolds into a seat?

Comment

That's so awful, especially since you live in Ireland! There are lightweight backpacks you can buy that literally turn into a seat. I've never bought one so can't say how well they work, they appear to be for people who are average weight.

I hope you can find something before you have to miss another.

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I have a small, portable camping stool. It's like a fold-out camping chair, but very small and lightweight. I took it to the Daytona 500 this year (I kind of snuck it in) and it was a lifesaver. I put a link to it in my profile.

It has some limitations. It's not great for sitting for long periods of time. It's very short, so not good for seeing over crowds or for someone who has difficulty standing and sitting. There's no arms or back for assistance.

A true camping chair would be nice for a parade, but if you have to walk long distance they can be heavy. Also, some events don't allow them. I was afraid security would stop me from bringing in the stool, but I slung it over my sholder and they never noticed it.

I need to look into the backback that converts to a chair. That might be easier to get past security.
        Optic Neuritis in 2004, Dx with RRMS in 2012. Copaxone, Sept. 2012 - September 2013. Gilenya, February 2014 -

Comment

Hello Guzzy,

I'm sorry you missed the parade. When I go shopping in stores that doesn't have elect. buggies I will take my rollator walker that has a seat so I can sit and rest.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi everyone and thank you for your replies and ideas.

CatMom I have never heard of backpacks that transform into seat but I'm excited about the idea and I'm off to google it - that's the perfect solution. I know I am so so lucky not to yet need a cane or rollator, but there's something holding me back from buying a convertible product like that when I don't need it - silly, I know, but it's as if it might bring it on myself. I know! Silly! So a backpack is good.

Koshtoo your lightweight stool sounds excellent too. I'd be afraid to use it in Dublin city centre because the crowds can be quite 'pushy' but in our smaller local parade it would be perfect as there's lots of space.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Guzzy View Post

Koshtoo your lightweight stool sounds excellent too. I'd be afraid to use it in Dublin city centre because the crowds can be quite 'pushy' but in our smaller local parade it would be perfect as there's lots of space.

Thanks again
              You're welcome, and I hope it helps! You are correct, the stool would not be a good option in a busy, pushy crowd because it's so low to the ground. It would be easy to get knocked over.
              Optic Neuritis in 2004, Dx with RRMS in 2012. Copaxone, Sept. 2012 - September 2013. Gilenya, February 2014 -

Comment

Working...
              X