Are you aware of your limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you aware of your limits?

After recently falling down the stairs (either my ankle buckled or I missed a step - I'm still not sure), I'm starting to realize I don't know my limits. I have no clue how bad my balance is or how quickly I'll get tired... At least until I fall or end up passed out on the couch. Am I the only one who does this? It's starting to scare me.

I not only used to do that, but I still do! And I do not realize until it is too late. I haven't done this ever since I can remember. I know better, but I do it anyway, I have no idea why either.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Outside of the house, yes totally aware.

Inside the house is a different story. Mostly I am aware but sometimes I go too far and I either "get stuck" in a position where if I move anything I'll fall or I just plain fall!

Comment

I believe I know my limits, but I push them all the time and regret it. It just unbelievable to me that I can only do a forth or less of what I was capable of doing.

Went shopping with my son for furniture for his new house. Boy did I regret it after, while I tried to sleep and still this morning.

Extremely tired, muscles twitching and spams and just sore painful and sore. My dh always says I told you so and I always say I thought I could.
        DIAGNOSED=2012
        ISSUES LONG BEFORE
        REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I used to push myself but not so much anymore. It's only in a situation where I have to do it that I do and that is not often. It's just not worth being so sore I can hardly move.

Comment

My biggest challenge is that I really have no idea where my limits are. It seems to change by the day. I've been pretty stable until recently but the MS is apparently getting more active. And even more active, it's like a yo-yo. Some days I can handle my schedule fine. Other days, I need a nap 2 hours in (or two minutes)... Since I don't have a caregiver, falling is a huge fear for me.

Comment

you R absolutely correct, I now listen to my daughters

My daughters tell me, "Mom U always think U can do more than U really CAN do." They R grown now, & they no longer live @ home. So I know now to not tell them everything I do, which isn't much anyway.

So, they ask me what I did yesterday. And I am honest, which is stayed in bed, read, ate, bathroom. Which is true, that's what I do. But they don't believe me.

They don't believe that anyone can do so little, but that's me.

They just remember all I used to do years ago, before all this ___________ started

Comment

They are not a solid thing

My limits are in a state of flux. I do push myself physically whenever I can, and then then next time I exercise can do more and more.

I've been on an uphill climb from a relapse for a number of months. I went from not being able to walk more than 20 meters or so to walking 1.5 km.

I don't know where the limit is....hope to never reach it. I want to be able to run again And hike. Damn that would be nice.

Comment

Very aware of my limits...however I am very bad at staying within them.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

i have limits????

cogfog or stubborness helps me forget until i drop or fall, or overdo & can't hardly move.
                    after12 yrs of knowing i have this MonSter you'd think i'd do better. but i still want to believe that i can walk normally, do things, be normal.

my dh like s to remind me that i have limits, after the fact & that indeed 1 day i'm really gonna hurt myself & it'll effect more than just me. i hate being selfish, i hate being restrained, but as i lie on this couch so my hip won't hurt so bad, i have to admit he's right.
                    maybe i better see the dr & behave a little more my age & disability.

ummm, than again, maybe not!
                    i'm afraid when i lose the ability to be daring, have fun, basically be me, than MS wins & it's not gonna!!!! ;p
                    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

My limits seem to change from day to day. Fatigue and muscle weakness are my primary issues. Grocery shopping on Saturday mornings seems to take it out of me and then I have to rest for an hour at home before I can do anything. Some days I leave the house feeling like I've forgotten about all this. I drive to the nearest town with decent shopping and then after a couple of stores I am surprised at how I just want to be on my couch. I should put more planning into it. Weird thing though, throughout the week I seem to do fine at work. Maybe I would do better on the weekends if I paced myself at work during the week. Wish I had a warning sign like the car low fuel light.
                      Portia

Comment

allergic to flourescent tube lights, now I wear my sunglasses

Back when I used to go to the grocery store, I couldn't figure out how an hour in the grocery could put me in bed for the remainder of the weekend.

Then I started wearing my prescription sunglasses each time I went to the store. I do understand why they have the florescent tube lights. They r very bright on their stock for sale. And they r very low cost. But for YEARS I didn't realize the florescent tube lights were the reason I was in bed.

So, if you want to try wearing sunglasses inside the store, it may help. I know it definitely helps me.

Comment

I've been a slow learner, but here are a few limits I've learned.

1. Never miss a chance to use a nearby bathroom.

2. If I start to think "I might be tired, maybe I should slow down/rest/stop/get in bed," well, I should slow down/rest/stop/go home and get in bed. Probably 10 minutes ago.

3. Sometimes I should push myself, but I should remember I will pay for it for a day or two after.

Comment

Only too aware. Utterly hopeless, I will stagger on.
                            Pride, not so much anymore embarrassment, basically anger with this disease.
                            I'm not one of these "I have MS; MS doesn't have me" people.
                            It has me, I hate it, and I will struggle on until the day I die.

Comment

Working...
                            X