New to MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS

Hello, I am new to this website, newly diagnosed with MS 3 weeks ago and am just looking for people to talk to who can relate. I am almost 49, have a 23 year old daughter from a previous marriage, a 6 year old daughter from my current marriage and am a nurse. I have an AWESOME hubby who is so understanding and so wonderful, some days I have to pinch myself to make sure its real.

My symptoms have mainly been numbness from my feet to my waist, lightheadedness and dizzy spells, balance issues and some others that may or may not be related to MS. I did a 3 day course of IV solumedrol right after I was diagnosed, and all the numbness with the exception of my feet went away. I have recently starting Rebif injections and am doing well so far. I'm wondering if the numbness will come back, I had it for so long and then the IV solumedrol seemed to really help with it.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms and similar relief with IV solumedrol. I know that there is a possibility of it coming back with a new flare up but I was told on another website that the steroids only last a month. Just wondering what everyone else's experiences have been. Thanks for any and all responses.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I too am 49 and recently diagnosed. I had very similar symptoms as well.... Numbness in feet, balance issues mostly. I was given 5 days of solu mederol which ended up being too much. Once I got through the side effects of the steroid, I did feel much better. It's been 3 mo and some of numbness is back (my feet have never been fully back either) I am currently waiting to start Copaxone. It has taken awhile because of dosage change and insurance approval, then the pharmacy couldn't read Dr.'s script etc.....Hope to start it this week. I'm anxious to see if it makes a difference. I'd settle for staying the same!

Comment

Hi Laurie,

Welcome to MSWorld! I'm sorry you were recently diagnosed. So happy to hear you have a wonderfully supportive husband.

I always find that IV Solumedrol helps tremendously (sometimes immediately; sometimes a delayed reaction). I hope your numbness stays away.

Comment

Hi Laurie,
        I also have the numbness. Mine all started in October 2013 and I am still numb on my complete right side head to toe. I've gotten used to it. The main thing is when you are ready please do a little exercising. As those nerves do control some of the muscles if you don't move around you will start to have spasms. I still get dizzy also. That was what caused my diagnosis. Usually at the end of my walks I get pretty dizzy. Once I calm down I am back to normal. The numbness has not gone away though. After several months of having this and trying to use all the muscles it did help from being so aggravating. Mine felt like I had rubber bands in all the muscles. Please try to move as much as you can tolerate as this helped me. Not saying it will do the same for you because no MS is alike. Symptoms are similar. But its worth a try.

Comment

Hi

I'm 44 and was diagnosed in December. I am just starting to have some possible MS-related numbness... like you, it's tough to know if things are related or if I'm just noticing them since I have a diagnosis.

I was admitted to the hospital in late November after a couple of days of major vertigo, had 3 days of steroids, and had my balance back within about a week. It has been about 3 months. I hadn't read about the steroids lasting 3 months, but I sure hope that doesn't mean the vertigo will return!

Comment

Lightheadedness

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful responses. It really helps to know others are going through similar problems and having similar symptoms. My main and most troublesome symptom now is lightheadedness. All this week I have had it, in differing degrees. I'm just not sure if its from the MS or if it is a side effect of the Rebif. I have an appmt with my neurologist next week and I plan on discussing this with her, but I am feeling pretty crappy. A little nausea has crept in with it.

Someone on this thread mentioned that they will be starting Copaxone, just wanted to mention to you that Copaxone is most likely not going to help with your current symptoms, but hopefully will slow down the progression ad prevent future flare ups.

Thanks again everyone for your responses. I love these message boards so that I can read everyone's stories and be able to commiserate with you. Sometimes people I talk to about it are not so sympathetic, especially some of my co-workers!

Comment

Working...
            X