Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistakes and MS? Feedback?

Hi

I'm 48.5yrs my MS was DX about 1995-96. Dunno the exact date because I just ignored it (probably typical male response) also had to earn an income... (kids 0 and 2).

Did not start Copoxone until about 7 years ago. Now on Gilenya {cannot easily take Tysabri easily (JVC+)}. Multiple brain and spinal lesions affecting everything especially my right hand sensations but MS is not visible unless exercising or walking, I limp but I say its juvenile arthritis (had minor episode when young).

This is my difficulty, I work in finance (now very low end work now) but I keep making mistakes in my calculations. The figures can change it seems each time I look at them. My memory is I think terrible I need names of people I work with just to speak to people, I get names so wrong its so embarrassing. I get a bad reputation for accuracy.

My MS is not disclosed. The last person that had MS was let go. My Neurologist feels I will not be able to work from August this year (is that because my MS has become Secondary Progressive I dunno, seems to be cascading).

Working and saving since 18 has left me able to set up myself a small pension and little debt. I have disability insurance which will be 1/2 of my wage that may be able to claim on.

I don't know whether the mistakes are MS related or stress or what is happening. The Neuropsych test shows abnormal memory and deterioration consistent with MS. I don't want to stop work or disclose but am stressed.

Does anyone else seem to have the issue with accuracy and getting things right?

Thanks

Hello. My memory is hopeless, and the thought of making financial calculations - well...

Let's say your neuro is right, and you've got six months before you have to stop working. I'd contact your insurer, and find out just how disabled you have to be to claim.

My superannuation fund has disability insurance, but you have to be completely unable to work in a similar sort of field, before they pay out, and then it's a lump sum.

I'd also ring Centrelink and get your name in the system for the disability support pension. It's called an 'Intention to Claim". You don't have to claim immediately.

I'd do that now, even if you will be okay financially, particularly since our government is talking about cuts to the DSP. And there's no sign of the NDIS.

As for disclosing, maybe they'll give you a less stressful position if you do tell them. Companies can't sack you in this country just for having a disability. Are you making mistakes at work?

It may be worth telling them, and finding out what sort of "reasonable accommodations" they are willing to make.

Comment

reasonable, sorry to hear about your MS difficulties and what seems to be some cognitive issues. I have cognitive problems, and numbers and figures are a paticularly big problem for me.

A Neuropsych evaluation can be very helpful when deciding wether to continue working, particularly since you work in finance, which requires a high level of cognitive ability for concentration, accuracy and stress.

I don't know if your neuropsych evaluation indicated problems specific to your work, but any difficulties with executive function could explain the problems you describe.

You should discuss the work related cognitive problems with your MS doc and the neuropsych doc, and the possibility that you are no longer meeting accuracy and production requirements of your job. You will need your MS doc's support in order to be approved for any type of disability benefits, including STD and LTD, early retirement via company pension and/or 401k, and SSDI.

The problems you're experiencing and company history of dismissing a co-worker with MS, I wouldn't wait too much longer. Also, working in the financial sector that was hit very hard when the economy tanked, probably has some impact on job security.

A few suggestions I can offer are to verify your coverage for STD, and more importantly LTD coverage to confirm that you have met the 2yr look back period in your policy. Failing to meet the 2yr look back period could result in your LTD claim being denied as a pre-existing condition.

Once the LTD policy has been in effect 2yrs from the policy effective date, claims are no longer subject to being denied as pre-existing.

Be aware of any recent changes your company has made in LTD insurance carriers. A recent change in LTD carrier could 're-set' the 2yr look back period to the effective date of the new LTD insurance carrier's policy effective date. This is true regardless if you maintained LTD coverage via your employer for 20yrs.

You are very fortunate, 19yrs? of stable employment with a MS dx. Those should be very beneficial financially and support your credibility.

Wishing you the best of luck with MS, cognitive problems and any decision you make regarding continuing to work or applying for benefits.

Comment

Hi Reasonable.

Sorry to hear of your concerns. Our timelines are similar. I wasn't diagnosed until 2006 when I started DMDs, but neuro thinks dates back to 1993 when I had what appears to be 6 week flare. I did pretty well until 2012. Neuro won't say secondary progressive since that limits med choices and unless he is 100% sure, won't put that label on me.

For me, mental fatigue contributes to the problem. After about an hour or so, I start to have problems. I am easily distracted and can't sustain focus. How much was caused by damage versus inability to focus, not sure, bit either way, memory suffered. I finally decided in 8/2013 to stop with neuro and neuropsychs support.

It is a tough decision, but I am glad I made the decision I did. Symptoms are better now that not fatigued as much and no work stress. I can't comment on the financial
        side since we are in different countries.

Good luck with your decision.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

IŽve got the same- looked it up- it is called acalculia- I canŽt do simple math word problems anymore- even with a calculator and double checking IŽll get more than one answer. Sigh.

Also have trouble with faces of people at work- names come and go. Have the added burden of having given my students Spanish names and I encouraged them to pick ones that are NOT the same as their English ones. What was I thinking!

My employer does know of the dx. In the US you are in some ways safer that way. I work for an "at will" employer. Can only hope that disabilities fall under a different category.

Find out if they can can you for mistakes if they do NOT know of the dx and also that if they cannot can you if they DO know of the dx. What a conundrum.

Take care.

Comment

Temagami - be careful. In the US, the ADA act does protect you, as long as you can still do your job with reasonable accommodation. If you can't perform the duties of your job, you can still be terminated.

The board is full of people who have lost their jobs and their employer knew of their diagnosis. It is a very grey area - some employers are great and some are horrible. That is why the NMSS advises to never disclose unless you are asking for an accommodation. They have great brochures on how to disclose and ask for an accommodation.

I am glad your employer is fair with it, you are lucky.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Temagami - the Spanish / English names made me smile.
              The same difficulties that I have others have with names.
              People can think your being rude, but I honestly cannot remember names. Sometimes I mention a name and people ask "who is that."
              The last 19 years have been employed full time but its not stable. I am starting to now think "time is time" and its time to exit, I suspect the stress of trying to work full time (3 red bulls a day to counter fatigue) and work stress is counter productive.
              Tysabri is a wonderful drug, people are lucky if they are JVC-

Comment

Working...
              X