WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I was officially dx'd May 2013 RRMS; started Tec in June and have been doing ok. I see an MS doc through University Hospitals and I really like him. He'll be retiring this year and I have to decide whether to stay with UH or perhaps switch over to the Mellon Center (through the Cleveland Clinic). The Mellon Center is renowned and someone I know is a patient there and has received extremely good care.

My concern: I absolutely LOVE my PCP & my Gyno through UH. If I decide to switch to the Mellon Center for my MS care, I believe I have to also switch my primary care docs. I think the Mellon Center has it set up where you get a team of docs -- it's a package deal.

My friend loves her MS doc but is not thrilled with her PCP care because they seem to rotate frequently -- leaving for fellowships, etc. She doesn't have that rapport with a primary which I so value with mine.

At first glance, this may seem like a no brainer -- go with The Mellon Center, but there are many good MS docs out there and I'm really torn.

Any and all advice is welcomed!

Thanks,
    Bree

Hi Bree, and welcome to MS World. Sorry you have to find a new doctor. In most cases you should not have to change your PCP or other docs just because you changed your neuro. It depends on your insurance. Call them and ask about it. In most cases they will let you choose your docs as long as they are in network.

I wish you they best, and please let us know how it goes for you.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
      In most cases you should not have to change your PCP or other docs just because you changed your neuro. It depends on your insurance. Call them and ask about it. In most cases they will let you choose your docs as long as they are in network.
      Thanks Lisa. I think I will call the Mellon Center and ask if my PCP has to be with the Cleveland Clinic. My friend, who is PPMS and has been with Mellon Center a long time, kind of insinuated the "package deal" concept. But I should call and verify myself. I would think with electronic records, it would / should be easy for UH and Cleveland Clinic to send my records over so the left hand knows what the right is doing - maybe?

Bree

Comment

Working...
      X