just joined...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just joined...

I was diagnosed july 2012 after first experiencing symptoms february of the same year. Blurry vision, dizziness, massive head ache with a loss of balance and cognitive changes. Had CT done in ER and Virchow-Robins spaces noted. Later after run around by (ex) primary care physician MRI showed lesions on spinal cord on C3 and in the 'white' area of brain. Also positive antibodies in spinal fluid.

Shortly after diagnosis I went numb on my left side from my toes to my rib cage (split me right up the middle) Later that same year I became very sick with the flu and had loss of function in bladder, energy, cognition etc another transverse lesion was found on C5.

I worked as an Neonatal Intensive Care nurse and had to stop because of cognitive losses and extreme fatigue. It was devastating to me. This fall I became weak on my right side, specifically my right hip flexor. A dear friend has just been recently diagnosed as well and we are struggling together to support each other.

With fear of loss of income from my insurance company and SSDI (which I am trying to obtain now) I am hoping to maintain my home. It is all so scary. I was on copaxone to start but changed after severe injection reactions. I'm now on Teriflunomide. I'm hanging on here and hoping for the best never knowing what is coming next! How do you keep a positive attitude never knowing what is coming next? How do you reframe you life so that it has substance and meaning and security again?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I'm new here today too. In limbo without dx. Im not working and do some volunteering to get me out of house. Only when i feel up to it. Maybe you could volunteer somewhe using you nurse background...when you feel up to try it.

Try take one day at a time.......i have my moments of fear and have to step back and come here today to meet more people like you did.

ALSO.....MY NORMAL CHANGES DAY TO DAY....HOUR TO HOUR AND I CONSTANTLY HAVE TO REALIZE THAT I WILL NEVER BE THE. SAME....BUT I'M OK NOW.

I HOPE YOU FEEL SOME PIECE WITH YOUR NEW NORMAL ..
    Sending hugs your way.

Take Care.....

Comment

I like idea of 'new normal'

... thanks for the positive attitude. So hard sometimes to see the cup as half full but it really is.

Comment

You sound so brilliant and brave. I'm sorry that you are having a hard time staying positive lately. I agree with the other post, take it day by day.

It helps me to think that God (or insert whoever you believe in ) has given me this disease but also this strength to deal with it. And he has chosen me (and you) because we are strong enough to. And on my hard days, I think about it and I feel a teeny bit better. After I started the injection therapy, My very self centered but loving friend said to me "eww I could never do that. I don't want big red dots all over my body. What will people think". And I couldn't help but laugh and think "I'm strong enough to deal with it! Maybe that's why god chose me".
        Honestly, I look at those "big red dots" as a badge of honor. It's another injection that I did, another box I can check.

Thank you for sharing your story and hang in there, I know you can do this.

Comment

Hi Txlaura,

I'm Kim, and I was diagnosed in August of 2011 with RRMS, with my first episode (that I can clearly identify) having been in January of that year, but which I blew off.

I had been working for 15 years as a PICU, NICU and pediatric nurse; I LOVED what I did, and I had to stop working last January. I can relate to the devastation; it was giving up a part of myself, because I'm definitely a caretaker by nature, and while I can still do that with my family and through the volunteering I'm doing, I understand how hard it is to lose that essential part of your self-definition to something over which you have no control.

I hope you keep doing well as far as relapses go on the Teriflunimide. I've been on Tysabri since January of '12, after six months of Rebif and a relapse with new thoracic spinal lesion at that time (and a change of neurologists). I've actually had one radiographically definite relapse (with four new lesions) on Tysabri, and another (the one that took me out last year) relapse that was weird and didn't show new lesions.

In any case, I'm so glad you decided to jump on board. This is a great site. I love it so much, I now volunteer here as a chat host! If you haven't tried the chat rooms, they're great for support, also. We have scheduled chats nightly (topical discussions) as well as open chat 24 hours a day.

Thanks for taking a risk and posting. It's great to have you here, though I'm so sorry for the reasons behind your joining. The good thing is, we can relate to where you are!

Look forward to seeing you in chat sometime!

Kim (KimOp, Kimik1)

Comment

thank you kim

I was pretty down last night. You know how much being a nurse is a part of who you are not just a job and that is hard to explain to others.

I am scared for the future but try to remember how awesome a nurse I was, perhaps I can be just as awesome but doing other things. I just don't know what they are yet.

Comment

Hello txlaura -

Agreed with what the others said. It really does become a day to day and moment to moment affair. I was Dx 4.4.12 with PPMS (2 year anniversary approaching!). The first 24 hours were hectic because I knew little to nothing about my new 'frenemy'. I was OK after that...after reading, reassessing, re-prioritizing, and ultimately reestablishing my relationship with me...if that makes sense.

I'm lucky. I'm still working and functioning well. Will it always be this way? Good question.

I wish you well.

Sean

Comment

Hi Txlaura,

I definitely know how much being a nurse is part of your BEING, not just a job, not just what you do to earn money. For the first 9 months after I had to stop working, I kept thinking I would get it back, through hard, hard work in PT, etc. The past three months have been a little tougher, realizing that this is the "new normal", and I'm going to have to adapt.

The volunteer stuff I'm doing helps me feel like I can "help" and "take care of" in some ways, but I must admit, it's not quite the same as inpatient, bedside care of children and their families. However, I'm hopeful that over time, these new endeavors will feel like my calling (I feel pretty adept at them, just not like it's as fulfilling as my other role was).

I hope you're able to find joy in the new normal; I hope I can, too. Some days, it's easier than other days; but so it is with any life, yes?

Take good care of yourself, try to find things that make you feel useful and helpful.

Kim

Comment

Hi txlaura,

Welcome to M.S. World and being a patient. I know the feeling. fed

Comment

thank you for all your replies!

I just needed to get my story out there! I hope it helped someone not feel so alone. I know it helped me to tell it.

What I didn't say was I have a supportive husband and two grown and married children. I have two cats and two dogs that love me. A home overlooking the beautiful Texas hill country.

I can't say what the future will bring and hopefully I won't lose my home and the LTD company won't drop me. And if/when they do I can find a job that works with my ability. Hopefully I will have improved function and less losses.

But this I do know, that I am in God's hands and he knows me and my struggles and loves me as his child.

Comment

So, what is the secret to beef barbecue/brisket round about your parts? Do tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X