Complimentary Alternative Medicine(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complimentary Alternative Medicine(s)

Hello all I'm wondering how many in MSWorld receive CAM therapies. I'm a Certified Massage Therapist newly diagnosed with RRMS, and I'm looking into possible CAM therapies both in flare up stage, and during remission. Has anyone tried anything that has had a great impact on their symptoms? I will be starting DMD soon, but I also recognize the need for other therapies, like Massage, if for nothing more than to relax the muscles that won't.

On a separate note, I'm currently in the middle of my oral weaning stage of steroids due to another flare up. I've noticed my extremities becoming pins and needles and a sort of numbness to them. I did not feel this way during the flare up before the Prednisone. Does anyone else feel this way when being treated with steroids?

Hannah
    Optic Neuritis -- 5/2013
    Dx MS -- 2/25/2014

Fearless with MS

Hello. I'd say the pins and needles and numbness are a leftover from the flare. With any luck, it will go away.
    Massage, acupuncture etc won't hurt, and might make you feel much better, which is a good thing.
    But there's nothing available mainstream or alternative that heal the damage.
    Good luck.

Comment

I have had numbness and tingling in both legs and feet for 7 yrs daily.

I was told by my first neuro then meds, such as gabapentin, may or may not help, so here I am

I have been on Gilenya for over 2 yrs and stable, not worse in symptoms.

Comment

array

I utilize an array of complimentary treatments.

Number one is massage. You will find when you need it most. I need it pretty routinely.

I also utilize acupuncture to help with spastisticy.

I am a reiki practitioner. It helps a lot. I can also self treat with that.

I utilize music, art, aroma therapy.

I myself try to stay gluten free, but, not completely. When I do eat gluten, it is a whole grain.
        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I eat as many different vegetables as I practically can, eat a lot of fish, and drink fruit/ berry smoothies to try to get as much antioxidant and phytochemical benefit as possible.

I take vitamin D, magnesium, alpha lipoic acid and acetyl L carnatine and fish oil.

I've cut about 90% of my refined sugar and 100% of corn syrup. If I eat sweets at all, they are home made by a person, not sold by a corporation. I go out of my way to avoid the preservatives in packaged food.

If I'm hungry, I eat, but I snack on nuts or air popped popcorn.

I add a lot of turmeric and cinnamon to food I cook, (not both at the same time), because of research I found showing some benefit.

I'm also on meds, but the way I see it, it is up to me to stay as healthy as possible. MS is bad. It will be worse if I don't stay otherwise healthy. So, I'm avoiding as many health risks as I can.

It's become something of an obsession. We all cope in our various ways.

Comment

Hannah,

As a massage therapist you know all the wonderful benefits that massage can provide! I was DX's 18 yrs ago and early on I did have regular massages. I feel that it was very beneficial and only gave it up on a regular basis due to $.

I too have tried and loved Reiki. I have moved around a bit so the issue now is one of trying to find qualified providers.

Yoga and or other forms of exercise for me have been key as well, along with diet and meditation. I feel so much better just knowing that I am taking such positive steps.

Now, I am not sure that any one thing has had a "great impact" on my health and symptoms but I truly believe that collectively it has helped me battle this for 18 years.

I agree with others that the pins and needles feeling is most likely part of the flare. Hopefully it will subside for you.

Best of luck!
            Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Hi Hannah - I also utilize many alternative therapies and have for years now- massage, (Reiki I haven't had done for years now, but I loved it), acupuncture, yoga, meditation and am GF and DF, with 90% of our diet organic. Grow most of our own organic vegetables and the wild fish and meat (grass fed) we buy is local. I particularly used both acupuncture and massage when I used to have flares. Steroids used once and it wasn't pretty

All these I believe have contributed immensely toward my total well-being. I have lived with MS for 25 years now and even though I am now SP (w/out flares) and not taking any DMT anymore, the progression is still happening. But, regardless, these alternative approaches have helped me symptom wise. And I actually feel pretty good - considering...

I hope you find an alternative(s) that help you. It never hurts to try!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for everyone's posts- what a lifeline

Seasha,

I've been looking all over for your post (my brain is ready to poop out about Acetyl L-Carnitine along with Alpha Lipoic Acid, or an older post you've had with your signature including the dosages you take.

Would you mind to please post the dosages of ALA and ALC you recommend?

I want to try it and and would like your special recipe so I can research and order accordingly

Thank you!!
                There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Hi Ikaika~

I think you have me confused with a member called Shashi - don't worry - it's happened before (I do take ALA and ALC, btw)

Anyway here is her first post about ALA/ALC http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100794

It's a long thread with many replies, so you will learn a lot. Good luck!
                  Seasha
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    Hi Ikaika~

I think you have me confused with a member called Shashi - don't worry - it's happened before (I do take ALA and ALC, btw)

Anyway here is her first post about ALA/ALC http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100794

It's a long thread with many replies, so you will learn a lot. Good luck!
                    Seasha

Thank you Seasha!!!

Sounds about right for my mix up- thank you for being so understanding, and sending me just what I was looking for too! What a relief. Bless you!

The funny thing is, I read your posts often too. I know the peach picture (photo icon) by heart and often think of it when sharing/ thinking of the forums! You're a familiar landmark for me and have great posts!

MS World is such a lifeline- thank you again for clarifying and posting where to find the info, great minds think alike with you and Sashi .

Blessings in abundance Seasha and all!
                    There is always a rainbow!

Comment

Working...
                    X