Swallowing problem in the middle of the night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swallowing problem in the middle of the night

I never had this before but a day ago I thought I had an allergy so I took a benadryl because my throat felt scratchy. The next morning I woke up and swear I made a snoring noise and i was wide awake. Last night I woke up at 11pm, I couldnt breath and then I couldnt swallow. It took a few tries and I could finally swallow. It stil felt weird for a half hour afterwards but I couldnt sleep after that so I stayed mostly. This morning my throat feels swollen on the inside.

How do I know if this is an allergic reaction or a MS symptom??
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Yes I have HAD this before. Woke up totally unable to swallow! Tried to take a drink, still could not. Stayed CALM, then tried very cold water and that seem to wake up the nerves in my throat.

Make sure first you tell your Neuro and see what is recommended.

Now I do have acid reflux. For some reason I saw a Gastroentalogist sp? and was told that I needed a EDG (gentle scope of esophagus/stomach). It worked. No more choking when I ate. Had same problem about 2 years later, and same doc dilated my esophagus and that worked.
    Your throat is a "little sore" for 1-2 days due to the scope, but you are put under with short lasting drugs, Versed which causes short lasting amnesia and Fentynol both used for pain relief. It was swift and non painful. The last two times I had no pain at all following EDG. Just don't eat toast or harder things for 2 days or so.

Each times it helped a lot. I have not had this problem now for 4 years.

Get a referral and ask. They will first order a swallowing test probably.
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

My neuro thought it was a panic attack and my pcp thought it was just a dry throat because i had been taking benadryl. I thought it was some MS thing because I woke up and I could not swallow. Took a couple swallows until i felt like I had more control. I am nervous about falling asleep tonight.

Comment

Yes it can feel like a panic attack. I refuse to let myself "go there" LOL, but if you heard a snoring sound, you "may" have sleep apnea and stop breathing for moments at a time. They would do a sleep study to determine this.

I would start there.

Do you eat fine without choking?

Again, since I have both sleep apnea and swallowing test which lead me to Gastro doc who did the EDG testing.

Ask for further evaluation of this issue.
        AND don't go to bed panicky. What I learned to appreciate is that my body woke me up because I was not swallowing! I thought that was cool.

Why don't you prop up your head with several pillows to elevate your head.

Wishing you answers soon hon!

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Yes I do have sleep apnea, I was supposed to go for a sleep study a year ago but refused. Now that you mention it I heard snoring from myself as I woke. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X