MS Hug or Costochondritis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Hug or Costochondritis?

Could someone explain the difference between the MS Hug and costochondritis? Does the hug hurt when touched or when pressure is applied? Does it feel like a broken rib? I have a feeling I had costochondritis but wanted to verify the difference in the symptoms. Thanks!
    With love, jade.
    Schizoaffective Disorder 2001, RRMS 2005, Copaxone 6 yrs, Tecfidera 6 mths, Copaxone again.
    "God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God."
    - Romans 8:28

The "itis" is more consistent with burning and searing type of pain that gets worse with touching and poking.

The hug is more of a feeling of 'tightness' in the chest and I personally, have trouble inhaling and feel I am struggling to get air. As if, being hugged by a bear.

The 'broken rib' type of pain, for me is--Shingles, if one-sided.

Pleurisy and other things can be related.

Pain isn't perceived the same by all. fed

Comment

Hmm. I still don't know, then. My ribs felt bruised to the touch and the pain was crushing rather than searing or burning. It kind of felt like gas bubbles we're stuck inside my rib cage. Or like a broken rib. It started on one side, moved to the other and then also to the back. It hurt to take deep breaths but I'm not sure if it felt like I was being hugged. Any ideas?
      With love, jade.
      Schizoaffective Disorder 2001, RRMS 2005, Copaxone 6 yrs, Tecfidera 6 mths, Copaxone again.

Comment

You need to see a doctor with those symptoms. fed

Comment

Costrochondritis off and on

Jadeglee,
          I've had costrochondritis off and on for years. For me, I had an annoying tightness in the middle of my chest. It was always there. My nurse practitioner had me take ibuprofen and it eventually went away. I have also had the MS hug feeling. That was a completely different feeling. The way I described it was having an abdominal binder on. Kind of like a corset. It was around my ribcage, not my chest. Hope this helps!

Comment

Hmm. Thanks, Lena. I think I probably had costochondritis then. I'm not sure if it really felt like a hug. It was crushing but not squeezing. Since you had costochondritis, do you know if it is related to MS or is it totally separate?
            With love, jade.

Comment

I don't work in health care, but are you sure you don't have heart trouble? With that symptom I would seek emergency care.

MS hug for me means tightness around my ribs, (no deep breath possible) or around my belly. I've also had sharp pain in my right abdomen, all scans normal.

Comment

so i was reading about ddx of ms and when i looked up transverse myelitis it said that it can include a tight feeling/pain in the rib cage that is sensitive to touch. I thought of this post.

Comment

My case of costochondritis usually hits me in the same place every time. On both sides of my chest, upper area and middle of my chest. Yes, it hurts to touch it! Some days I think I'm having a heart attack.

I've also had the HUG where my ribs feel like they are being squeezed or crushed. I also have Fibromyalgia and IBS and both conditions can cause pain in the ribs and chest.

It's all pretty frustrating isn't it?
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

How do you tell the difference between your MS and your fibro? I have been diagnosed with both but am not convinced I had fibromyalgia. I did have a lot of pain, though.
                    With love, jade.

Comment

Originally posted by jadeglee View Post
                      How do you tell the difference between your MS and your fibro? I have been diagnosed with both but am not convinced I had fibromyalgia. I did have a lot of pain, though.

That is the $10,000 question. I am in a state of confusion all the time. But it seems like (for me) the treatment is the same... Neurontin on a regular basis. I haven't actually started this routine yet because I was sick with something else last night and couldn't tolerate the meds.
                      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                      X