No announcement yet.

And I turn back here to get support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sorry that you and you're family are going through this.

My old Religious Studies Teacher, who was a very strict High Anglican, said she believed that God would give everyone another opportunity to ask for forgiveness when they arrived at the gates of heaven.

Comment

Hi Fishhead. Wow. Lots of empathy here. We are Lutherans (as a family, I am an atheist). My uncle broke his back cleaning out the gutters and became partially paralyzed. Two months from now, it will be the anniversary when he shot himself in the garage. My mother has also been suicidal most of her life.

I often felt my uncle was autistic. He was distant and hard to talk to. I only saw him excited about aeronautical engineering. I remember once I asked him what the canoe looking things under the plane wings were called from when I flew in. An hour later he was still talking and my eyes had glazed over. They were always active in the church.

I remember a verse, to he whom little is given, little is expected. I imagine folk who are struggling with MS, major depressive disorder, and medication effects wouldn't get their ticket torn up as quickly. I've also never seen anyone as @@@ sure they were going to heaven as reformed rapists, murders, and child molesters in prison. Now, most people who commit suicide hurt people too, but in their reasoning, they're doing them a favor because they see themselves as a burden. My uncle surely must have felt this way. His beautiful home was turned into a maze of ramps, bedpans, and hospital beds and that totally wasn't who he was. If God exists I imagine he will look at the mindset more than the actions. /hugs

Comment

Thinking of you and your family.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Fishead,

Truly sorry for your loss. Think of you and your family .
          Sending hugs your way.

Take Care.....

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
            I am saddened. I was awakened by a phone call last night (4 hrs ago) and informed that a close uncle killed himself

I am torn, because, while I know God is forgiving, I have this tiny tiny worry that suicide may prevent one from entering heaven.
            It depends on your God.
            As a Christian you are covered by the grace of Jesus Christ.
            (Jesus made grace a blanket thing. As in it covers everything)

But does this blanket forgiveness make me want to rape and pillage my neighbors? No I want them to have a happy healthy life....
            You have to keep going till others are ready to let you go.
            Try not to worry about forgiveness...that is a sin also.
            You are and will be forgiven.

Sorry for your pain and loss.

Comment

I just returned from the wake. Thank you to everyone else who posted. The words that you provided (about a loving God and his grace) fill me with such peace at this time. THANK YOU so very much!!!!
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Your uncle loves all of you very much. He didn't realize then that his action would have this effect on you. He really didn't mean to cause such pain. I believe he'll be okay. I also believe there's no separation. He knows how you feel and there isn't anything he can do.

I knew a few people who committed suicide (including my husband's brother). I know of the hurt and confusion, and how many hearts are touched.

But I think it's a lesson, maybe? I have thought about suicide, especially since the dx of ms, but I don't feel I can. Like I know I shouldn't.

Do something nice, for him, and maybe you'll feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                  It depends on your God.
                  As a Christian you are covered by the grace of Jesus Christ.
                  (Jesus made grace a blanket thing. As in it covers everything)

But does this blanket forgiveness make me want to rape and pillage my neighbors? No I want them to have a happy healthy life....
                  You have to keep going till others are ready to let you go.
                  Try not to worry about forgiveness...that is a sin also.
                  You are and will be forgiven.

Sorry for your pain and loss.
                  Where does holiness end and man's misinterpretation begin? My intellectual self says the concept of purgatory is utterly ridiculous, but when you've had a lifetime of, in my case, Catholicism pounded into you, it's hard not to get that tinge of worry when you hear the word "suicide". Just writing this I feel ridiculous, though . It's just so hard to change that darned hard-wiring.
                  Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                    Where does holiness end and man's misinterpretation begin? My intellectual self says the concept of purgatory is utterly ridiculous, but when you've had a lifetime of, in my case, Catholicism pounded into you, it's hard not to get that tinge of worry when you hear the word "suicide". Just writing this I feel ridiculous, though . It's just so hard to change that darned hard-wiring.
                    I hear you Tawanda. I too was raised Catholic - parochial school, etc. Still consider myself a Catholic.

When I was in 5th or 6th grade the sermon one Sunday was about baptism -- if a baby died before getting baptized, it's soul would go to purgatory -- not heaven.

Well, that bothered me and I remember thinking how horrible that was -- How could God do that? The baby had no choice. Later that week after school I went to the rectory and spoke to the pastor. Ran it by him and he could see I was fairly upset about it and I'll never forget what he said: Fables are used sometimes to relay an important message. (i.e, the importance of parents baptizing their babies)

I've never forgotten that.

Comment

Working...
                    X