Question about healthcare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about healthcare?

Since I lost my job, this is my last day under my current insurance. I need to apply for healthcare through the state. I will be getting a very small amount of unemployment (if they don't deny me). I have heard several stories regarding disclosing pre-existing conditions.

One acquaintance said she disclosed her full medical history and although they couldn't deny her, they made her premiums "unaffordable". Another person I know who didn't disclose any issues, she got very affordable insurance.

If pre-existing conditions are not disclosed, what can happen. I can't afford very much for insurance right now

Since they can no longer refuse to insure you based upon prior history, I would imagine you can sign up without that info. They can charge you more for being older. Age is the only factor that can up the premium. Do check the formulary of the plan to be sure that your DMD is on it. Also check to see if they will make you take a CRAB drug and fail it before taking a different DMD.

Comment

If you're unemployed, your income should be low enough to qualify for medicaid. If not, you qualify under the ACA, and I'm sure the subsidy from the government would be substantial. You can go to healthcare.gov and find out. There are no longer preexisting conditions with the ACA, so you can't be denied insurance.

Comment

The one person I know is unemployed as well. She filled out the questionnaire that comes with the ACA application and they made her premium almost 1/2 of her monthly income. They said they can't deny her but they can raise her premiums accordingly (not based on her income but her medical needs).

The other person didn't fill out the questionnaire and has similar medical needs and income. She qualified for Medicaid. Now, I am not sure if either is telling the complete truth but I am worried about how this is going to effect me.

Comment

Go online to healthcare.gov and search for yourself. The website is actually working quite well. If I was in your situation, this is what I would do. There is no harm in looking and obtaining the information you need. You might be surprised at what you find. Good luck.

Comment

I applied for healthcare online with the state. I was approved immediately. Only problem is...my PCP has decided to no longer participate in any state medical insurance. That is a bummer as he has been with me the last 2 years and has a good handle on what has been going on with me.
            Now I have to start all over with another doctor

Comment

Working...
            X