No announcement yet.

Therapy & my hesitancy to go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad it went well for you! It sounds like you connected with your therapist as well, which is good.

That's the goal, acceptance. It's a process. My counselor has me journaling and that has been helpful -- I've been able to figure out things event without her help ("why am I like this" questions).

BTW I have not yet accepted this. But I'm learning lots about myself .

Comment

Originally posted by mac1ntosh View Post
      Thanks everyone. I made the appointment, start in a week or so. One thing I REALLY need help with is just accepting the fact I have MS.

I cry immediately just trying to talk about it with friends and family. I feel so pathetic then! I'm worried it'll open the floodgates, and I won't even be able to speak for the first session.
      You are being strong, courageous and there for yourself, not pathetic! Everyone fears they will start to cry and never stop, or that the counsellor will see their behavior or background as "really bad" or extreme -- but they have seen it all and they accept you as you are, right where you are, tears and all. They won't let you walk out of the office broken into a million pieces, never fear. And as my first therapist told me, your psyche has a way of protecting you from things until you're ready to see and feel them, so very rarely will you be "blindsided."

Therapy has been life-changing for me, and I couldn't deal with this disease without it! Hope it becomes the same source of support for you.

Comment

Working...
      X