Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability or Sick Time

Hi everyone!

Dx with RRMS 11/12/13 (nice and easy to remember.) I'm 28 and have been an ICU RN for 5 years. Noticed S&S for about a year prior but nothing i couldn't ignore or blame on shift work (oops).

I love my job and just thinking about having to leave makes me want to cry. I know i need to take care of myself before i can take care of anyone else, and now is that time. So, here i go.

After my 1st dose of steroids in December I felt great. (I could see again and had energy) I worked for about a month with out a problem, 12 hour Day & night shifts, on the Code team with no problems. Then i gradually got more tired, weak, numb (feet->ribs and lower arms). Ive also got a noticeably off balance gait and tremor in my hands and head. I feel like I have a Parkinson's tremor. My speech is choppy at times and i find that i cant say what i want to, when i want to.
    This dose of steroids has stopped the room from spinning when i walk. Numbness, fatigue, weakness, tremor and poor balance are still there.
    I can barely stay awake at home for more than 8 hours. If i do stay awake, my tremor increases and i can barely walk. I can barely hold a pen or type. Driving is out of the question. Walking is short slow trips, especially shopping. I can only imagine trying to work right now, lol. Spiking an IV bag right now would be a whole new adventure.

Here is my question. Should I be applying for Disability? Btw, i live in Canada. I have sick time and a Long-term disability program at work. With Long term Disability, there is a 120 day waiting period. I have just enough sick time and Vacation to get me to that point. I can continue to have income and eventually do a graduated return to work (RTW) program at some point. With the RTW i can work what ever hours i can tolerate and still be paid my top up Disability amount.

My other option is to work what I can and take my sick time when i need to. However when i run out of sick time, i run out. I'm starting Aubagio next week. Of course I hope, like all of us here, there are no more flare ups and the drugs will fix everything and this will all go away.

I do not want to be seen as lazy for taking the disability route, however i don't want to put my self in financial turmoil b/c i have no sick time when i need it.

So, as i write this out, it seems more obvious to me the better choice. However, any comments? How long did it take your DMD's to help stabilize your symptoms?

I'm not familiar with the Canadian Disability Retirement system, and not sure if Long Term Disability Insurance in CA is similar to LTD Insurance in the US, although I think most 'private' Disability Insurance via employment, are universal.

I would consider taking a short term leave of absence from work. Maybe a short 4wks off, that won't leave you entirely without income if you are unable to return to work and waiting for LTD benefits to begin.

The amount of time required for patients to rest and recover from a MS attack, steriod treatments, etc., is so very under-rated.

At 28yrs of age, early in your dx I'm assuming, effective treatments both DMD and sx meds, lots of rest and recovery, you might be one of the lucky one's able to return to work for the next 20-30yrs with your MS under control.

Applying for permenant disability does require your MS doc's support and diagnostic proof that you meet LTD criteria, a significient consideration.

Hope this helps and very best of luck to you.

Comment

Lots of things to weigh.

I agree that you are young, and it may be too soon to consider disability.

However, I also agree that you don't want to put yourself in financial turmoil. The other "turmoil" factor is just the toll that busy-ness and employment and stress can take on your MS.

I went on disability in 2008, at the age of 46, following 6 years of MS, losing 3 jobs, due to MS-related problems and absences. I finally decided that, maybe, I was no longer very employable, but, it was difficult to give up a career.

My husband had been encouraging me for years to consider disability, but, I resisted because I was still able to work. In the long run, though, disability has been a good thing for me because it allows me to take care of my health, yet still remain a contributing member of society.

I've found purpose in volunteering various places, and, at this point, I would no longer wish to return to the world of employment. My MS is under better control than it has been for a number of years, but, it's because I take 2 naps a day, and I pace myself, and I've learned to manage (or, prevent) stress.

You'll just need to weigh the health issues and financial issues and the way the Canadian disability system is set up to determine what's best for you.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

*So, as i write this out, it seems more obvious to me the better choice. However, any comments? How long did it take your DMD's to help stabilize your symptoms?*

When I was dx w/ RRMS in 95 I was informed by my MS Neuro that DMDs do not help current symptoms. However, I have seen positive stories by people on this site.

I would speak to your ms neuro about abugio. GL in whatever you choose.

Comment

I don't mean to sound judgmental but it terrifies me that you are still working as a ICU nurse with all the symptoms you are experiencing. I just see huge liability issues here.

Comment

RN also but had to stop working

I had cognitive issues and fatigue that made it so I had no choice but to stop working because as a nurse you know our first responsibility is to our patients. I worked in NICU and found I couldn't multi-task and forgot how to mix a medicine I had been mixing for 20 years (among other important things)! I knew I was no longer safe.

I don't know what your symptoms are but those were some of mine and even though trying to explain it to others was and is hard it was best. I went on short term disability then long term disability. I had very little sick leave left.

I also need to take one or two naps a day and know I could never make a eight hour shift much less a twelve hour night shift ever again. That has been my experience. Maybe yours will be better?!

Comment

This is something that I am beginning to look at.

While I have been in the diagnoses process for several years, there has been no final, or provable, results. My doctor does say that my symptoms are right and I am on multiple nerve and pain medications.

This past year I began gabapentin and fentanyl patches on top of my regular percocet , and other medications.

During the summer this seemed like a great fix, my pain was reasonable for attack season, and while I had to nap throughout the day I could still manage my 15 hour work schedule.

However, in the second week of my senior year at university some previously unnoticed symptoms appeared, primarily an inability to retain lectures and information easily or reliably. Due to this I have been forced to postpone graduation and cut my classes in half.

This turn of events has me really scared about the future. While my school provides some disabilities help it is limited. It is work in the future however that is scaring me. I live with my parents and can't support myself, nor have independent insurance (I'm almost 23), and I don't know what services are available for people in our situation or even if I can prove that I need them.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
              X