Trouble sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble sleeping

I have periods of insomnia off and on. Last night I had trouble sleeping all night. I could only stay asleep for about 15-30 minutes at a time and then I would be up for several hours. I finally went to sleep about 5 am and slept for about 2 hours straight. I am so tired today my eyes hurt. I feel like I could fall asleep sitting up but when I try and lay down my mind won't turn off. I'm not thinking about anything important, my mind just can't seem to stop whirling. I hope I can sleep tonight

Sorry, this should have been posted in General Q&A

Comment

I have sleeping problems also and have no really good solution. (I've tried several medicines, as well as altering bedtimes, activities, etc.) Instead I have simply settled for a sleep schedule I can live with.

For the last three or four years, I usually stay up 'til 2 AM or so and then climb into bed with my patient spouse. I sleep fitfully,mind whirling, 'til about the time the sun rises, then I fall into a 2-3 hour long pattern of solid sleep. Then I usually need a potty trip. After that, I can sleep again for 2-3 hours - deep sleep and dreams.

By early afternoon, I am ready to get up, shower and begin my day. I know this isn't the healthiest schedule, but it seems my mind lets me have a few hours of peaceful rest only after I've given myself some busy-brain-time.

Comment

What helps me, when I'm not working on writing a novel in my head, (I'm usually asleep after I've started Chapter One for the hundredth time), is finding a really dull audiobook, and playing it very softly.

You need one with a reasonable plot, or you'll go silly, but the person reading it has to have a monotonous, deep, boring, voice.

Comment

Often have this problem as my mind is racing so I would love to be able to just switch it off for the night. One thing I find that helps is not to try and sleep but just aim to relax my body and do some meditation to empty my mind.

Another thing that sometimes helps is to make a hot drink and read something boring. There is nothing worse than tossing and turning all night and just as you think you might drop off the sun comes up!

Comment

Since my first relapse and I was given high dose steroids I have not fallen asleep without Ambien. I am at the 6 month mark of my diagnosis. I have talked to my Neuro, GP, and sleep apnea doctor about this and they are not concered at all....

My job requires me to be alert and sharp to help others. I can not function without a full nights sleep.

Good luck to you, I good nights rest is priceless.

Comment

Be very careful with Ambien. It has documented issues with many "awakening" (not really) and performing day-time type tasks such as driving etc. I personally had an issues when taking it. I had driven almost entirely to work (about 45 minutes) and got lost when I was almost there. Called my honey and told her I was lost. She had to ask me many questions to figure out where I was, then leave HER job to come get me.

SO BE CAREFUL especially when you FIRST start taking it.
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                Be very careful with Ambien. It has documented issues with many "awakening" (not really) and performing day-time type tasks such as driving etc. I personally had an issues when taking it. I had driven almost entirely to work (about 45 minutes) and got lost when I was almost there. Called my honey and told her I was lost. She had to ask me many questions to figure out where I was, then leave HER job to come get me.

SO BE CAREFUL especially when you FIRST start taking it.
                This is true, what works for one does not mean for all.

Comment

Working...
                X