Made it through 2 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made it through 2 weeks

I just started helping my dad out at his business last week, and this is the first time I've worked in about a year. The first couple of days were fine, but then after that, I've been so tired while there for at least half of the day every day, and then when I get home, all I want to do is sleep. No matter how much sleep I get, it doesn't help me the next day. Last weekend I ended up napping both days, and one of them I didn't wake up for 3 hours!

I generally go to the gym 5 days a week, and last week I made it every day. This week I've skipped a couple days because I just haven't felt like going at all. I need these workouts to keep my mobility up (if I skip even just a few days, I can tell a difference), and they are also very fun, so I don't ever skip unless I feel like I have to. I also noticed today that my balance has been way off (much more than normal), and I don't know if I'm just having a bad day or if it's all related.

Honestly, I'm really worried about this. The job is easy and also has a lot of down time where I can do whatever since I'm only answering the phone, but I'm having such a hard time adapting. I do get up and walk around, read magazines, listen to music, or play my Nintendo DS to keep myself busy, so my issue isn't boredom. I know it has only been 2 weeks, but when week 2 was worse for me than week 1, I'm afraid it's not going to get better.

I've also been out of work previously in my life after having surgery for a couple of months and didn't have trouble returning to a full time schedule like I am now, and that was a demanding job back then.

I'm really afraid that I'm not going to be able to handle a continued full time schedule, but at the same time, not doing it is not an option for me because I have no money and this at least pays some of the bills. My dad also never gave me an option of coming, it was just stated that I was going to work. I feel like I can't say anything either because I've been such a burden this past year and at least now, I'm not quite as much of a burden to my family.

I'm wondering though, how long should I give it to see if my body will finally adjust or to see that I really can't handle working full time anymore? I did file for SSDI but was denied and am currently waiting for an ALJ hearing date, which I've basically been told will take forever. Unless I can somehow manage to get approved, I'm stuck.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

I don't know if feasible, but could you do some of your exercises in the office when in between calls?

The only other things I can think:
    1. See if you can maybe work half days a few days a week and then build up and add a half day as you build up until all 5 days are full days.
    2. If not taking something for fatigue, see if you can. There are multiple options to try.

I wouldn't be afraid to ask your neuro this question as well. What do they recommend to keep you working full time.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Does your Dad truly understand MS? The Australian MS society has a great booklet for explaining MS to family members- I recommend googling it and sharing it with him. It is this unseen disintegration of the nervous system and all that it can affect that folks donŽt seem to grasp. You could explain that it is like a Hollywood scenery front that looks fine from the outside but the infrastructure is gone. Maybe youŽll get an ah ha look of understanding. Not pity, rather, understanding.

Comment

Working...
      X