Do You Hear Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Hear Things

Hello everyone, I have something weird that has been happening every so often but it seems like it's happening more often. I'm hearing things. Not voices or anything like that but sounds.

For instance, I may be in one room and I think I hear a crashing sound in the other room, like something has fallen, but when I go to investigate nothing is out of place, nothing on the floor.

I didn't pay attention to this at first but it started happening more frequently and I started wondering if this could be my MS. I've never asked my neuro because I've never thought that much about it and I've just never remembered it while making my question list.

It's always a sound that is far off like in another room. It always sounds like a crash, something falling and breaking or like someone has hit the wall or a door.

If someone is with me they do not hear it. When alone I noticed that when I would hear these sounds my dogs would not raise their heads and look, I realized they didn't hear anything.

It could just me and I'm getting crazy (or crazier) in my old age.

Once in a while, I hear scraping sounds or faint voices like someone left the tv or radio on.

But years ago, before I was dx (though I know now I had ms) we lived a different house. I heard a door slam in the basement. I was too scared to investigate. I just wrote it off as "old Mrs. Tracy's" ghost.

After reading your post, I have to wonder. I'd be interested in what other people have to say.

Comment

I hear voices. They are clear sounds and I recognize the voice. I look up to respond and there is no one around. I just figure I have a good imagination.

Comment

It was happening to me a few months back. But mostly at night. I would hear what wounded like the radio or TV left on, but of course it wasn't. The strange this is though at times it sounded as though someone was switching radio stations. If I listened real closely I could tell what type of music was playing.

Didn't ever figure out what it was. Told Dr. but she kinda looked at me as if I was crazy. Occasionally I can still hear it, but its not as often as it use to be.

Comment

this is too weird! One night I texted my wife in the middle of the night and told her that I thought someone had crashed into our house! I hear all I things all the time, doors opening, doors closing, thuds... I cannot get anyone to believe me.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Wow way to creepy huh? I also have that someone left the tv or radio on. Sometimes I think that I must be able to here to neighbors tv or them talking but we live in a house and the neighbors are not close enough for me to hear. Or at least that's what my dh says.

Anybody know why?
            DIAGNOSED=2012
            ISSUES LONG BEFORE
            REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Auditory hallucinations are quite common, especially when the real world is being quiet. When I'm trying to get to sleep I frequently 'hear' music or talking, and sometimes other sounds, too. I also get tinnitus-like ringing that comes and goes whether it is quiet or not.

I expect I hallucinate more than most, because my old, abused ears don't hear well in mid-high frequencies. Unless I'm wearing my hearing aids, it's always kind of quiet!

Even if you think your ears are perfect, it's a good idea to get your ears checked as you get older. I had no idea how little I was hearing until I got my hearing aids. Also, a good ENT can diagnose all sorts of hearing problems with an exam and MRI (head) & audiology reports...
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Interesting topic. Yes, it could be your brain fooling you via MS..or..auditory hallucinations from simple partial seizure disorder. Unless you are having other signs/symptoms, I believe its not that big a deal.

I had auditory, visual, peripheral things that made me jump! I also had "goosebumps" all signs of simple partial seizures. So I had to have 5 day video inpatient evaluation for seizure disorders. I was not allowed to drive either for 6 months until could rule out it was not a seizure disorder.

Ask your neuro about it, but I would not worry..

Also, maybe you are in tune with the spirit world and they are only communicating with you. Pay attention (if you believe in spirits) and ask the what they want? LOL

Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I have had this for years, my husband works nights and it only happens when he's at work. Just after dropping off to sleep I would here something crashing down some where else in the house.

Maybe 4 years ago I read an article about how your subconscious mind can play tricks on you like this. After reading the article I never let this keep me awake again.

Good luck

Comment

I used to hear singing at night, like a chorus, but not any particular melody. Just random stuff that didn't go anywhere, but they did beautiful harmonies.

That was about 8 years ago, and then they all of a sudden just went away.
                    PPMS
                    Dx 07/13

Comment

It happens.

I went thru a period of several months where if the house was quiet I could hear the sound of someone mumbling. Like they were in a different room and I couldn't make out what they were saying.

I told my old Neuro about it and she gives me "the look" which made me explain that dogs weren't talking to me and telling me to whack people, but something seemed like it was going on.

My idea is that if you've got MS leasions which effect the auditory part of your brain or there's other leasion damage which effects the parts of brain where consious thought occurs, your consious mind doesn't like to be bored and will make things up to fill the void.

In my case it also went away on its own. So, maybe its a function of MS leasions flaring up then dying out again?

Just thought of something. Does anyone notice that it can happen if you're wearing ear phones?

Comment

I never noticed if earphones made a difference. But I also just thought of something: I sometimes smell things that aren't there, at least things that nobody else can smell. It's not so bad if say, I smell lasagne in the basement because I know it's not there. But if I smell gas in the basement, that's a problem.
                        PPMS
                        Dx 07/13

Comment

I have the "radio left on" quite often, usually at night when it is quiet and I am reading. Sometimes it is music, sometimes it sounds like a sports event. It is different from my constant tinnitus.

I haven't mentioned this to my neuro, as it doesn't bother me, and I figured I'd just get "the look." But maybe I'll mention it at my next visit since it seems to be common amongst us here at MSWorld.

Comment

I think Bob is right. My original dx came through an ENT because I "lost" the hearing in my right ear but every time I talked I heard electronic beeping. It was so weird. After all the hearing tests my hearing was fine which lead to my MRI and dx.

I now recently hear a weird indescribable noise like thunder? when I roll my eyes. So disconcerting. Searching on the internet I read other ms'ers hear similar.

Nothing to be done I guess!
                            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
                              [...] it seems to be common amongst us here at MSWorld.
                              Actually, it's just plain common. Have you ever seen 'auditory hallucinations' on a list of MS sx?
                              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
                              X