Menopause and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menopause and MS

I have read somewhere and my neuro told me that MS tends to burnout after Menopause? What are you thoughts on this? Apparently pregnancy halts MS for 9 months because of the estrogen and men seem to do worse than women, because they don't have the estrogen. So how does Menopause burn out MS when we are not producing estrogen anymore?
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

I am hoping that is true, and have read a little about this previously. While it may not make sense in terms of what we have been told about estradiol being beneficial, and pregnancy hormones often calming MS down, it is not that simple. Heck, nothing is simple with MS!

I am post menopausal, and because of another medical issue I am taking an estrogen blocker. It is safe to say I don't have a lot of estrogen circulating (except I am a little bit on the fat side recently.....).

I have had some of my long term problems remit after years, specifically my heat sensitivity. I am able to do things I never thought I'd do again in the blazing sun.
    Who would ever have thought this?

I'd love to have my MS "burn out". I will remain optimistic that this could happen. I'll post more on this if I can find the article that I originally read.

Comment

I think this may have more to do with age than menopause. I had drug induced, premature menopause and it made to difference to my MS. My heat intolerance didn't even appear until after menopause, and I've even had my worst flare since it's onset.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I wasn't diagnosed with MS until after menopause. It would sure be great if this nasty stuff 'burned out', but so far mine just continues its course, whatever that is.

I'd love to know if some study could give me a bit of hope!

Comment

Menepause

I have been waiting for 40 years for the Ms to burn out. Instead it has gotten stronger. I have never heard that it might do so.

Comment

I don't know if ms "burns out" after menopause, I just want to be post menopausal!!

Comment

I missed my period in Jan and nothing yet in feb? Does this make me menopausal?
              Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

My wonderful 15 year remission ended AFTER menopause, and I haven't heard of anyone's disease "burning out." I think many people have fewer attacks after a number of years (which could coincide with menopause) but go on to become SPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post
                  I missed my period in Jan and nothing yet in feb? Does this make me menopausal?
                  No, not really. Signs of perimenopause, which usually occurs when women are in their 40's (or late 40's), are irregular periods, hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, and possibly loss of libido. It can go on for a couple years or more until the time of a woman's last period.

Could you perhaps be pregnant?
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

The period can get highly irregular in the years leading up to menopause. This can last for up to 10 years. Technically, you're in menopause when you have not had a period for 12 consecutive months.

Seasha's right. Many women in their 40s miss the early stages of pregnancy because they assume perimenopause.

Or it could just be stress, low body fat, or low calorie-intact. They can cause missed periods as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post
                      I have read somewhere and my neuro told me that MS tends to burnout after Menopause? What are you thoughts on this? Apparently pregnancy halts MS for 9 months because of the estrogen and men seem to do worse than women, because they don't have the estrogen. So how does Menopause burn out MS when we are not producing estrogen anymore?
                      Not necessarily. I had the longest most significant relapse to date when I was pregnant with my son at age 30. It didn't subside until well after a year from his birth.

Comment

Working...
                      X