RRMS or progressing further?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RRMS or progressing further?

Can you tell me if RRMS is always the first diagnosis? I had my first stroke-like attack 6 months ago...5 days of IVs, and Copaxone for 5 months now. But, I still feel the same...has not subsided yet. No new lesions, but same one larger than normal and still lights up active as of last MRI one month ago. Should I be questioning everyone if it's progressing, or am I being over worried?

Hi Grammysue,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling any better. I am no expert but I think to be progressive, your symptoms would have to be
    getting worse and/or new symptoms. It could be that you have a really tough exacerbation. Sometimes they can take a long time to go away and can leave residual symptoms.

I would definitely discuss your concerns with your neuro.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hello Grammysue, I do not think you are over being over worried at all. You should contact your neurologist right away and get his or her plan of action. If I read this right you say the lesion is still enhancing after 5 months. I do not want to alarm you as I am not a Dr. but from what I have learned I do not think it should still be enhancing without something else being done. Let us know what they do and I hope it settles down soon.
      PEACE

Tortis

Comment

Searching for answers

Thank you!
        I've been reading lots of MS diagnosis info. I'm feeling I'm in great company with my overwhelming brain fog. The good news is...I don't have any new lesions or enhancements. All seems calm....but I'm left with lingering walking difficulties. My Neuro told me 18 months ago that he expected a complete recovery after my 1st attack. RRMS fist diagnosis, like everyone else. How will I know if I am becoming PPMS or SPMS?

Comment

Hi GrammySue,

My Neuro told me 18 months ago that he expected a complete recovery after my 1st attack.
          I am sorry to hear your Neurologist told you this. This statement in not quite true.

After an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up) you can make a complete recovery (no symptoms) or a partial recovery (symptoms come and go, some symptoms completely resolve, permanent/residual symptoms). Complete or partial recoveries are both normal in RRMS. Partial recoveries is the most common.

If you have seen some improvements from how it was the that would be considered "remission."

I'm left with lingering walking difficulties
          I'm sorry You might consider seeing a Physical Therapist (PT) to see if more improvement in your mobility is possible.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by GrammySue View Post
            My Neuro told me 18 months ago that he expected a complete recovery after my 1st attack. RRMS fist diagnosis, like everyone else. How will I know if I am becoming PPMS or SPMS?
            I've never regained anything since my 1st attack, but my neuro calls it RRMS.

I don't know much about PPMS but I think the onset is usually significantly different than RRMS, and SPMS only comes after RRMS...
            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Most Neuros will diagnose with RRMS and watch you over the next 12 months. It is really apparent within that time if you have PPMS.

However, some people don't even know they have MS for a long time and then they are in the SPMS Stage.

If you have an active lesion that is causing issues...it needs possible treatment. You might want to talk to your Neuro.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X